Chapter 5 - Blinded

When Sasuke finally replied to Sakura's messages, the medic seemed to be much livelier and friendlier to everyone she passed by on the street and on the hallways of the hospital. She had been more productive to her work and even became more enthusiastic when she was given heavier tasks by her master. She wasn't sure how soon Sasuke will come back but she didn't care, she was excited and was extremely hopeful again. In all honesty, there was that point where she was losing hope and believed that he decided not to come back anymore, but he would be. He kept his promise and he was alive. He reminded her of that certainty through a letter, and that's all that mattered. Nothing could ever change her mood then.

Two months later, Sasuke finally arrived to the Leaf. He had been traveling for three years ever since he left Konoha after the war and his one last battle with Naruto. He thought it was time to go back home and serve his own village, even for a short while.

He was welcomed by his old teammates, Sakura, Naruto and Kakashi at the gates of Konoha, just like how he said goodbye to them before he left. He felt so nostalgic.

"Teme! You're finally back!" Naruto said, grinning at him.

Knowing Sakura, she gave him a warm hug with tears falling down on her cheeks and Sasuke gladly accepted it and put his remaining arm on her back – which made her eyes open widely. She wasn't anticipating for him to return the hug at all. Her cheeks flushed deeply even more.

Sakura paid attention to how much he had changed appearance wise over the last three years. He got taller, mature, more muscular and more handsome. His other eye was covered with his hair to hide his rinnegan. He let his hair grew slightly longer than usual. She really felt the change in him and the experiences he had encountered during his redemption.

And clearly, Naruto wanting to ruin the romantic moment, he joined the hug as well, making Sakura want to pummel him later that day. Kakashi just smiled at them behind his mask. The three was like his children.

Sai was there too, but he was not there with them. He was watching them up a tree, he didn't really want to meet that damn Uchiha at all. Sakura invited him to welcome Sasuke with them earlier that day, but he declined her request as he told her that he didn't really have any connections with him, so it didn't matter if he was there or not. Sakura insisted as he was part of their team too, but she let go when she became aware just how different Sai acted lately. He seemed... grumpy. Since when did Sai learn about being grumpy?

He was not happy about his homecoming. He saw Sakura hugging Sasuke and his chest just ached. He noticed that he had been feeling this way all these years when Sakura would talk about Sasuke. It was not a new feeling, he was jealous all along but was too unfamiliar about the sensation – hence why he never wanted to trust him in the first place. His opinion was biased. He had been crushing on Sakura for so long, it just flourished just a year back when they would hang out more often. It was crazy to him that he didn't realize sooner.

Naruto held a party that night in his apartment for Sasuke. It was a surprise. Sasuke was irritated at Naruto at first for holding "such unnecessary occasion" but didn't mind later on. All the Konoha 11 together with their senseis were invited to the party.

Sakura was all too excited for the night, she wore a dark pink dress with a matching red headband. She did a little bit of shopping with Ino a week ago just for the party, she really wanted to look her best tonight.

After getting ready, she soon walked out of her apartment and on her way to Naruto's, then she passed by Sai who was walking the opposite way.

"Oi, Sai! Where are you going? Why are you not dressed yet? Come on, let's go to Naruto's," she said as she was approaching the pale man.