The darkness in light Chapter 1: unlikely allies

Chapter one: unlikely allies

The grayness of a rainy day stood gloomy over the scene. A funeral is taken place at rose cemetery on May 15. A girl with strawberry blonde hair stood staring at the hole in the ground before her. Her gray eyes full of tears slowly streaming down her face.

Her hand gripped tight to tall man with short blonde hair. Their faces resemble one another, their age difference was three year apart 14 and 17. They looked at the ground and the stone. A man with brown hair was speaking on a small stage but the sounds didn't affect them. They had just lost their mother to breast cancer.

The scene shakes a bit but then focuses on the two. A man kneeling at the grave stone had a tough face with a scar on his right cheek. He held white roses in his hands, his wife's favorite kind of flower. He dropped them into the hole and some by the stone. The engravings on the stone said 'R.I.P. Georgia brooks. Great mother and wife. 1974-2013."

As a the man standing up ended his speech they started leaving. All but the three mourners. Soft rain drizzled on them and they just froze. The world didn't matter to them anymore. "Danielle... Evan let's go." The man said surprising the siblings with his voice, getting off the ground as men put dirt inside the hole. Danielle clinged to her brother as they walked to their white Honda.

*one year later*

The car ride seemed endless for the brooks family. As Danielle sat in the back right of the car her brother was in shotgun and her father driving. Danielle thought 'first day of school... I wish mom was back here-' her brother snapped her out of her thought by shouting.

"Cheer up! First day of high school for you!" He said looking back at her with his blonde hair messy. "Yeah yeah." She grumbled. "You should be happy about it! Only four more years of these people! Then collage. I only have one more year!" He said smiling.

Danielle forced a smile to her older brother. His green eyes full of adventure and curiosity, her gray eyes were calm and hiding so much emotion. "Why is he always so happy...." . Her phone buzzed with a bird tweet following. "I bet it's rick." Evan teased.

She opened the text on her blue cased phone. She smiled a little and her eyes started to have a bit of life in them. "Yep it's Rick. Dad you missed the turn?" Evan said looking at his mute father. 'Your so innocent in this world aren't you big brother...' Danielle thought glancing at her brother.

She typed back saying hey to rick. It buzzed again and said 'excited about school cutie?;)' she smiled and typed back 'a little it sucks you go to a different school :(' she said and looked out the window, "Im glad you do, so I don't have to be so-" she thought as her phone buzzed again.

'I know sweetie I'm sorry, I would if I could but you know my dad... And guess what' he texted back and she felt uneasy all of a sudden. 'What?' She texted and started thinking of their past. 'Almost a year.... We've been dating for Almost a year... He acts like he's never done anything to me.... But I'm still his girl friend and I have to act like it, I'll put it behind me. He'll never do it again I hope...'

She thought and rubbed her arm and winced remembering theirs a fresh bruise there. Rick had texted back 'i love you!' She sighed and looked around making sure Evan wasn't looking. 'I love you too' her blushing cheeks seemed to make her feel warm inside a bit but something cold still stood in her chest.

As the car turns and makes a stop they arive at a brick school bigger than two blocks of two story houses. Richland rebels was on the top of the school. The two siblings say goodbye to their father and exit the car into the crowd of lost freshmen and laughing upper class men.