14. An Unwanted Surprise

The next day turned for the worst. Deva woke up with massive pain but not from her head. It was her lower stomach from cramps. She cursed herself for not checking the calendar. It was the beginning of a new month, and that only brought one thing for Deva, the worst week of her life.

She thanked God and whoever placed the lady products in the bathroom. She bettered herself and ran back to bed praying the day to hurry up and be done with.

She was rocking herself to sleep when her door swung open. Does anyone here know about knocking, she thought to herself?

"Sweetheart, why are you still in bed? There's a beautiful day outside these walls waiting for you."

She groaned with irritation. Today was not the day. "If I wanted to talk to you, I would have called you first."

"Ouch sweetheart. A little feisty today are we? Are you not feeling any better? Does your head hurt still?"

"No it's not my head, but I warn you Darius don't start with me today. It's not a good idea." She felt a sting of pain on her side and cursed.

He instantly sped to her side sitting on the edge of the bed closest to her. He stared down at her with worried eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing for you to be concerned about. Now go run along to one of your flirty whores and leave me be." She knew she was being mean and harsh, but at the moment being nasty was the only way to get him to leave.

"Not going to happen, sweetheart."

She turned to him with eyes ablaze of rage. "Darius leave me alone because I swear I will probably bite your head off by the end of the day, and I did give you warning."

He chuckled. "I would like to see you try."

She sat on her elbow moving close to his body. "My sanity has reached its end, and I promise I can't control my actions at this point."

"Then let me control them for you," he offered. He loved her spunky yet dangerous quality of spirit. Looking into her eyes, she literally looked like she would kill someone if they crossed her path.

"Darius," she groaned placing her hand over her stomach and closing her eyes in anguish.

Then he understood her snappier than usual attitude. As vampires they didn't have to worry about humanly things like that, and her being a woman made it more difficult. "You're on your cycle."

"Yes Sherlock. So if you would please leave; I have some pain basking to be in right now."

"I'm not leaving." He said firmly.

"Did you not hear me? I'm in pain, my sanity is at its limit, and I swear one wrong move and I could kill someone."

He cackled, and she wanted to pound him for laughing at her misery. "I'm not in any position to imply I know how you feel, but I have been in the situation you just described." Being a vampire, it was normal to feel pain, on the verge of insanity, and not to mention killing people.

"Darius you don't have to stay with me. I'm a big girl, and you honestly can't say you want to be here with me. You think I've been bitchy and difficult till now; imagine me on PMS. It's scary. I promise you. I feel nasty and sticky and shitty; that is not a good combination."

"I think I can handle it."

She shook her head. "But Darius I'm bleeding in a very uncomfortable place. You're a vampire who drinks blood. Won't you...Can you even stand being close to me?"

He placed his hand on her soft cheek. "Yes I drink blood but I'm a very old vampire. I can control my thirst better than any. I wouldn't put your life at risk like that. Look I promise if it gets to be too much I will leave. But I don't want to go."