Chapter 3: Strawberries and Chocolate

"I..."

I began to speak, but I felt at a loss for words. I couldn't bring myself to say what I wanted. Three simple words. Three simple words, that could change everything in the blink of an eye. But I can't remember...

What was it...?

I like you.

or

I love you.

I wasn't sure which would be right. I didn't want to come off too strong, but neither too weak. I just wanted him to understand.

Without thinking, I scooped up a larger portion of the chocolate ice cream and ate it. My head immediately ached in cold pain from my carelessness.

"Don't eat it so quickly." Nisaka said.

"Eh?" I muttered. I looked up at him once the pain subsided and he was laughing. It was almost like a giggle, but manlier.

A sweet blush showed on my cheeks. He looked so cute in a precious way that was beyond my ability to describe.

"...I like you...." I found myself speaking such forbidden words verbally almost like I had no control over it. I took a second to realize what I had just said and I could feel my cheeks burn with embarrassment.

"...I-I mean I guess I like you, but I don't know, I-"

"Then I love you..." I heard Nisaka say. For just a moment, I forgot how to breathe. I slowly turned my head to look at him, and he was there, staring back at me.

"What?" I questioned.

"If you like me, then I love you."

"You...love...me?" I repeated. I couldn't believe it. I felt like my heart was playing a cruel joke on me. Just telling me what I wanted to hear.

"Yes." He replied, briefly.

"Oh..." I sighed. "I came here, and was honestly kinda hoping that I would get rejected."

"And why's that?"

"Because," I began. "I didn't want to have to go through the pain of having to love someone that could never be mine. In just a couple of hours, I turn 16, and I get my government notice. I won't get to be with you."

I felt tears welling up in my eyes at the single thought of losing my first love.

I remember, when I was a child, maybe 5 or 6 years old, I couldn't wait to be married to whoever the government had said that I would. But now, that's the last thing I want.

"I...love you...Nisaka..." I cried. "I love you..."

I sighed heavily and wiped away my tears. "Y'know, I originally never planned on telling you all this, but I didn't want to continue living my life in a lie. But being in love with someone that you can't be with is worse than loving someone in secret. And I don't want that..."

"Soon, I'll get my government notice and you will too, if you haven't already. And then we get married to our partners and live out the rest of our lives peacefully." I smiled softly, but I knew, deep within my heart, that I didn't mean a single word that I had just said. It wasn't something that I wanted, not for a single second of my life.

"Haha, I know me liking you is nothing new to you, since a lot of girls like you. But, I don't like you because of your looks, but instead, I like you because, I know you," I giggled. "You're very reserved and always kinda to yourself, which makes you mysterious. And you've never really liked to do more than you have to, and I find that about you, kinda cute."