Chapter 5: Oh Father!

"Anyways, I hope I'm not being rude when I ask, Kitsune-san, I couldn't help but notice that Sorano's hair and features are quite different from yours." Mina questioned, as she looked back and forth between my mother and I.

"Oh, yes," my mother started. "Her father played a much larger part in her features than I did. Her older sister on the other hand, might as well be my twin haha, sometimes I have a tough time telling the two of us a part."

My mother and Mina both shared a laugh, before Mina spoke up again. "Speaking of her father, is he running late as well, he's not here."

"Oh, no. He's not going to be coming."

"Why not?" Mina chided.

"Mom..." I spoke softly. I could notice that my mother tensed up slightly, when Mina began asking further questions.

"It's fine." My mother whispered, brushing me off slightly. "He...uh...he died. A couple years back. He became really sick, and died."

"I'm sorry for your loss." Mina said. "I shouldn't have brought it up."

"No, no. It's fine. Don't worry about it."

Soon after, we all sat in silence as if to pay respect for bringing up the name of the dead.

As we sat there quietly, the door to our room opened and standing there was the woman from earlier who brought me here. She held open the door and in walked a man, about a foot or more tall than me. He wore a dark black suit, with a pair of black dress shoes. Draped over his bent arm was a long brown trench jacket. His hair was styles in an undercut and he had narrow, piercing grey eyes. His presence felt intimidating and cold.

"Oh, darling!" Mina said excitedly. She got up from her seat and went over the man who just walked in. Rei stood up as well and shook his hand.

"Good evening, Father." Rei said briefly.

"Son." The man responded, his voice was low, like Rei's, but slightly thicker. His eyes careened over to my direction and he looked over me as if to confirm my existence.

"Introduce her to me." He said. Rei turned around and took a step to me, and without saying a word, he then held out his hand for me to take. I hesitantly took it, and he gently pulled me up from off the floor.

Still holding my hand, he guided me over to his father, which wasn't even three steps away, but still kind of him. "Father," he said. "This is Miss Sorano Kitsune. The woman I have been I assigned to marry."

His father then looked at me once again before speaking. "Alright." He walked away and took a seat at the head of the small table.

"And who might you be, miss?" He said to my mother.

"Me? I'm Sorano's mother, Asami Kitsune."

"A pleasure to meet you, Asami Kitsune."

After a brief second of awkward silence, my mother and Mina returned to their previous conversation, but included Rei's father into the mix and the occasional questions to me and Rei.

I sat in silence and looked on at the parents enjoying their conversation about their daily lives or so, and I inevitably found myself thinking about what my future could somewhat look like. With how things were at the moment, there was no say in the matter. I would have to marry him. Marry the person I didn't even know existed until just a few hours ago.

But I couldn't see myself living such a lie. Which is ironic since it's how my life has turned in the moment. I'm in love with the person who isn't the person I'm supposed to be in love with. What a strange twist of fate.

I continued to rack my brain with more somewhat depressing thoughts when I felt as if I was going to just up and cry. I closed my eyes for a second and opened my mouth to speak.

"Uh...excuse me for a second, I'd like to step out for a moment." I said, standing up and walking out of the room.

"Ah! S-sorano?" I heard my mother call out to me as I shut the door behind me. I briskly walked down the hall a chill breeze blew across my skin and I softly sniffled.

I couldn't wrap my head around it. Why all of sudden, did I feel like crying. It wasn't really a natural thing for me, but for the past few days, I've done nothing but cry.

I continued down the corridor and I came across a closer door. I felt the need of some privacy, so I stepped inside. Once I closed the door behind me, I felt a chill. The room was very dark and a bit cold since there were no windows leading into here. I was standing on a soft carpeted floor and the walls had a wooden feel to them.

I sat down, hugging my legs and took a moment for myself. I closed my eyes and my mind began thinking about Nisaka. My heart fluttered. I could clearly remember the way way his lips felt as the graced their presence on mine. They were so soft, warm and sweet. Just remembering it made me want to feel it again. I missed Nisaka. I wanted to see him. I want him to hold me in his arms and I wanted to run my fingers through his hair.

As I sat in darkness a sudden knock on the closet door, broke me from my thoughts and the a low voice called out my name.

"Miss Sorano?" It was Rei. He had come out looking for me. He slowly opened the door and looked inside. "Are you alright? You've been gone for quite some time."

"Yeah." I said. "I'm fine. But uh, would you mind shutting the door?"

He nodded his head and stepped inside the closet, and then closed it behind him.

"Is there something that is bothering you, Miss Sorano?" He asked kindly.

I shook my head, answering his question even though it was likely he couldn't see me doing so.

"I-I don't want to do this." I cried. "I thought I could...but I can't."

--------------------
Hello everyone, excuse me for the very long hiatus and this is probably a little short, I'm sorry but I'm back in school, so wattpad has been bumped down from being my top priority in things I have to use up my time with.

But thank you to anyone and everyone for sticking with me!!!