No More Duct Tape

"I'm sorry, what?"

She huffed and stomped her foot in frustration. "Okay, no offense, but I was actually trying to get to Ginny."

"What do you even-?"

"It's just-" June really didn't seem to care about what Lydia was saying - "it's not an exact practice. Actually, I'm kind of fumbling around in the dark, here. This magic doesn't really exist except for me, and she's a lot easier to talk to when it comes to this stuff. So-"

"June!" June stopped her rambling and watched as Lydia step closer to her. June appeared calm, but Lydia was in shock. She wasn't sure how she was moving, but Lydia was thankful she could. Eventually she reached June, and slowly reached out a hand to touch her face. She jumped in surprise when she felt the soft skin, the warmth.

"You're real?"

June shrugged, "Sort of."

Lydia paused, searching her face for expression she could place. After a brief moment, she whispered, "I'll take it," before throwing her arms around June's neck. She buried her face into her neck, and could faintly smell the scent of nature that was perfectly captured in her shampoo. Lydia always meant to ask about it, but never did. She felt June wrap her arms around her waist, and Lydia nearly cried.

"What do you mean 'sort of'?" Lydia sniffled, breaking from June's hold.

June stuffed her hands in her pockets and bit her lip. "I guess I should welcome you to my head."

"Your head is an abandoned version of Manhattan?" Lydia tilted her head in confusion.

"No, no, as far as I can tell, this is the place my magic fabricated for me."

"Your magic designed this for you?"

"Come on, I'll take you back to my old home."

June started walking what must have been a familiar block, and Lydia hustled to keep up with her. As she looked around, she noticed the streets and everything were seemingly an accurate layout, it was just empty of people and cars. It had an odd cleanliness that Lydia was sure she wouldn't find when she traveled to the real city.

"About my magic: yes and no. In a nutshell, I guess we both designed this place. When I meditate I take my mind back to New York and just people watch. It was always a great way to remove myself from my troubles. I guess my magic kind of fed on that, but removed myself entirely from like everything."

"Everything?"

"You don't see anyone else around here, do you?"

"So how did you end up here?"

"Theo fucked with my head. Or neck, I don't really know." June turned to face away from Lydia. She brought her braid around her left shoulder to reveal claw marks fresh in her neck. "Best guess, my magic created this as a failsafe so that I wouldn't implode."

"So now you're stuck here?"

She watched June bite her lip in sadness and fear. "Yes."

"June-"

"Which is why I have no clue how you got here. All my thoughts were focused on Ginny, to let her know I'm okay. I mean still somewhat present. Not comatose."

"But you're not."

"What do you mean?"

"June you're catatonic, not in a coma."