Ch. 3 We Are Going To Be Friends

Shooting Chord a glare she stared at him viciously; at least as viciously as she could without laughing. Zella was trying to act mad about him not picking her up but her anger had worn off the moment she got in the car with Nash and his band mates.  She could still give him a hard time though. Chord gave her a sad apologetic stare, genuinely looking upset.

“I said I was sorry,” he said in a small voice.

She smiled slightly and awed in her mind. How cute was that? Adorable, right? Opening her mouth to speak she was about to let him off the hook but the slap of a French-fry to the face caused her to gasp. Her eyes wide with shock, Chord burst out laughing; she turned her head trying to figure out which of the four boys sitting around the table was responsible. Ian pointed a quick accusing finger at Ryan.

“Oh no! You’re not blaming that on me,” Ryan told him wide-eyed.

“Don’t be mad at me, he did it,” Ryan clarified pointing at Ian.

“Oh don’t worry, I don’t get mad I get even,” Zella stated while laughing.

She picked up a fry of her own and flung it at Ian.

“Oh crap,” she uttered trying hard not to laugh.

The fry completely missed Ian and hit poor innocent Nash instead. Nash with a dead panned expersion looked at Ian, then at Zella, then down at the French fry that lay in front of him. Zella was worried he might be mad but the small smile that spread across his face let her know he found it amusing.

“Way to get even,” Nash mocked Zella laughing.

She giggled, shaking her head.

“Sorry about that,” she apologized with a chuckle.

In all honesty she had missed battering with Nash and Chord. It had been awhile since they had spent time together. She had been too focused on forgetting, too focused on her future, to be bothered with childhood friends that reminded her of her childish-fears. However, she made a silent promise to herself to enjoy the time she and the boys shared while it lasted. One week, now that she was here, didn’t seem like nearly enough time and it was only mid-way through day two. She felt like it was already almost over.

She was literally knocked out of her thoughts. Dazed she stared wide-eyed and confused at Chord, her eyebrows knitted. He had hit her. She was amazed by the action; the brat had literally hit her! Leaned forward from across the table and popped her smack-dap on the forehead. Chord raised his eyebrows at her questioningly.

“Earth to Zella,” Chord laughed lightly.

“You hit me.”

It sounded stupid, it was stupid but it was all that Zella could manage at the moment. She was still recovering from the abrupt ending to her thoughts. It was a sudden and shocking way to be pulled out of ones thought and it took time to process. The boys (minus Chord) cheered.

“Welcome back cadet,” Nash laughed.

She rolled her eyes at Nash, giggling softly.

“So what were you thinking about,” Chord questioned looking curious and a little worried.

“Well you, of course,” she told him with a sly grin and cheesy wink.

Any worry that Chord had was instantly gone as he shot her a wink in return before laughing. Chuckling with him the rest of the boys joined in- except for Nash. He never was as easily distracted as Chord. Friendly banter and innocent flirting never was enough to divert his attention once he thought something was wrong. Zella put on a smile as she chomped down onto another fry.