Entry

"Why didn't you say anything before? And why-" I begin questioning him, but he cuts me off.

"I didn't know that I had too. And I also didn't think it would matter!" He hisses. I'm taken aback by his harshness but he quickly becomes calm again, with a slight tone of solitude, "And I also didn't think you would survive to know."

I don't say anything afterward. I just want time to sleep and to think. And I know I won't find any of that in this hospital, but I also know I can't leave. Suddenly Dawn rushes into the room. She looks just as tired as I do, but happy to see David.

"Dawn..." David says, but he refrains from saying anything else.

"Look, you won about 2 million dollars from this, and that machine cost about $500,000 to make," Dawn says plainly.

"Your point?" David asks.

"At first we thought this was only temporary but due to funds...I don't know. It will cost more than this entire hospital does to make another body, capable of performing proper human functions. I'm sorry but it can't be done." Dawn says, with that, she takes one long look at him and leaves.

I walk over to David and sit on the bed, "So what happened...you know, before you were a robot?" I ask, gently trying to get him to explain to me.

"It all started when I was a child, maybe 7 years old. We were in an accident, me and my mother. I survived, but she didn't. And when I say survived, I mean just barely. I wouldn't be able to live for more than a few more years. And then I met Liam. We both went to the same robotics school, and we became close. But then...." He stops suddenly.

"But then...?" I persist.

"One day, I guess my condition got worse. Much, much worse...and I died. I don't know what happened between the time period when I was awake and when I wasn't. But when I woke up, I was a robot. Liam had saved me in a way. And I ended up winning that year. That was the first year he won, and I betrayed him when I went and made you, and you won." He explains. I now understand his full story, and I understand why Liam shot him.

"Oh, I get it." I sigh, I feel myself begin to lean up against him. When we touch I feel how cold he is, but more importantly, I feel how warm my skin is. And that's when it happens.

I begin to cry. When David notices, he wraps his arm around my shoulder and lets me rest my head against his chest. I just let every tear out, every tear that never existed before I became human. We sit like this for a long time, maybe even too long, but I don't know what to do.

Suddenly the tv switches on. At first, I don't take note of it, but soon I begin to listen to what's being said. It says next year's bot fight entries are already being summited.

"What I'm about to say may be the craziest damn thing you've ever heard, but will you have the honor of entering me into the next bot fights?" David blurts out, taking me by surprise.

"There are only a few spots left but..." I hesitate.

"This may be the only chance I get at becoming human again...please, I literally can't do it without you." David pleads with me.

"...I suppose, but are you sure?" I ask one more time.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Then I suggest we start training." I turn and smile at him. He smiles back and I immediately know that next year's fight will be an interesting one.