Chapter 2

"This is not okay!" Lavanya screamed after throwing her dupatta towards the bed.

"What are you on about?" Anjali followed her inside their room.

"We organized everything. We baked the cake. We did everything while she refused to join us. When we made peace with it, she comes from nowhere, wishes Daddy, and manages to get special treatment. Daddy fed her the cake first. And what did we get? An emotional scene to witness?" Lavanya was too angry to be handled.

"We all know she's Daddy's favorite," Anjali herself sounded upset.

"Even though she hates Daddy," added Lavanya.

"Who said so? There's nothing like that," Anjali said as if controlling the damage.

"Even a blind person can feel the hate she has for Daddy," Lavanya said while removing her earrings.

"She loves us all but doesn't know how to show her emotions," Anjali tried to reason.

"That's the most unfitting reply of the century. Anger is also an emotion she keeps showering on us," Lavanya came and stood in front of Anjali.

"What's your problem with her? I agree, we all make fun of her, but we don't backbite anytime, do we?" Anjali was a little irritated.

"I do because she does everything that no one likes in this home. Still, she's everyone's favorite. And when we do the same, don't we get punishment from Dadu?" came a stubborn reply from Lavanya.

"That's because punishment is given to our own, not to someone else," Anjali cupped Lavanya's cheek.

"Stop it, Di. Khushi isn't 'someone else,' and you very well know that," both Anjali and Lavanya turned back, hearing Arnav, who was standing near the door.

"Here comes her savior," Lavanya rolled her eyes while taking her dupatta and covering herself properly.

"Calm down, you both. Yes, Arnav, I know Khushi is the girl you love," Anjali tried to make peace.

"She's family," Arnav was determined.

"Yes, she is. And Lavanya, that's what I'm saying to you too. Punishments are given to daughters, not to would-be daughter-in-law," Anjali turned back to Lavanya and explained.

"Gosh, that's some big word, would-be daughter... crap... how do you say that in a single breath?" Arnav came forward and put his hands on each of their shoulders, trying to change his sisters' moods as he very well knew Lavanya loved tongue twisters.

"Like this... would-be-daughter-in-law," Lavanya innocently took up the challenge and smiled when Arnav faked his astonishment at her achievement.

"Hey, that's what I was searching for, your smile," Arnav spread her lips more with his fingers.

"Stop it, Bhai," Lavanya pushed back his hand while he came forward with a naughty glint.

"I haven't started yet," Arnav giggled and started tickling her.

"No, Bhai. No tickles," Lavanya chortled.

Arnav started chasing both his sisters, they tickled each other, laughed, and had a good time.

---------------------------------------

While going back to his room, Arnav saw the lights still on in Khushi's room, so he went in as the door was wide open.

"Thanks for joining us and..." he started after seeing her sorting out some papers.

"Before you throw some more pleasantries, let me tell you I wasn't there by my own wish. On not finding me down there, Dadu personally came to call me. It all happened in a jiffy, and I didn't even get a chance to pretend to sleep," Khushi interrupted him.

"That's what I was wondering, how you came...!" Arnav said sarcastically.

"You can't predict me," Khushi muttered.

"Yeah, I know that by now," Arnav agreed with her.

"Now if you'll just excuse me, I have some work," Khushi said in a business-like tone.

"Nope, I'm not leaving until you tell me what problem you've got with Daddy," Arnav folded his hands and stood balancing himself on the wall.

"I've got a problem with him. That's a lot for you to know... I don't need to give you any explanations," Khushi said, keeping the papers inside a bag.

"You don't need to, but you owe a reply to me," Arnav raised his eyebrow.

"You can't keep bringing your rights or that rubbish in between here," she kept the bag on the side table and took a book from there.

"You are my WIFE, and calling it rubbish won't change the truth," he stood properly and said with determination in his voice.

"Shut the hell up. Don't call me your wife. As far as I remember, we had a deal... you won't let anyone know about this, and I will not cause any trouble for you all, and I'm doing my part very well," she stood up, throwing the book with anger and shouting at him.

"I'm also doing mine. I didn't let anyone know that we are married. But I have the freedom to call you one when we are alone. Don't I?" he himself was getting angry.

"Get out, Arnav," she scrunched her eyes while screaming.

"Tch tch, you haven't learned any other bad word," he was hurt and wanted her to feel the same.

"Yes, because I'm stuck with you middle-class people," she replied instantly and regretted it after seeing the hurt flashing in his eyes.

"What? What did you just say? Repeat it, dammit!" He came forward and held her by the shoulders.

"I... I didn't mean it... it was just a slip of the tongue," she stammered, seeing him so angry with her for the first time in all these years.

Arnav had never ever gotten angry or shouted at her. Instead, he was the one who always stood like a pillar between her and all her problems. He had always saved her from every ill thing and tried to portray her as good in front of his family.

Khushi was 13 when she lost her only family, her father, due to illness. After her father's demise, Khushi's responsibility was handed to her guardian, her father's manager, Arvind.

Arvind had brought Khushi to his hometown, and his family accepted her as their own. Only Khushi herself didn't like to mingle with them and stayed aloof, though she respected the elders. But she always had a problem with Arnav's father, for reasons unknown.

"At last! What you think came out of your mouth," he told her in a painful voice.

She stood speechless while he left her shoulders with a push and went outside without giving her a backward glance.

_________________________

Hope you all like the Update!

Do let me know, through Votes and Comments.

With Love, ❤
Uzma.