Chapter 1

Amelias P.O.V

I will always remember that first day. How I woke up with an instant due to my alarm clock screaming constantly telling me to face the day and get the hell up. In that moment all I wanted was to turn back time a week, waking up in my familiar room back in Chicago. At least then I would feel safe and not so lonely. I would still be able to get up and text my friends knowing that I could accomplish something in the next few hours.

But no, there I was, in a strange new bedroom located in New Jersey.

The alarm beside me still made it clear that I had to go up and get ready for my first day at school, but it felt as if my arms were glued to the lilac bed sheet. I think that deep inside I was hoping that me not turning the alarm off would mean that time somehow stopped and I didn't have to go to school. If only that was possible.

A loud door being shut and heavy footsteps which angrily made its way toward my door made me doubt my thought of time being stopped however. My door swung open revealing my sister in her pyjamas and an angry face that was half covered in makeup.

''How hard is it to reach out and turn your alarm off? I can't focus with that constantly ringing!'' she said whilst walking over to the side of my bed and practically slamming her fist on the snooze button. ''See, my eyebrow got completely messed up because of it!''

I turned my head to look at her and shrugged lightly. Honestly, I couldn't see a problem with her eyebrow, it looked exactly like it used to.

My sister, Emma, was a real fanatic when it came to makeup and clothes. She spent most of her days watching makeup tutorials on YouTube or browsing for hours on Pinterest for new outfit and makeup ideas. I'd lie if I wasn't jealous of her abilities, mostly I walked around wearing only a little bit of concealer to hide my dark circles from the lack of sleep.

''Mom! Amelia is being super rude and refuses to get out of bed!'' Emma continues screaming. All I really could do was to roll my eyes and continue looking at the ceiling pretending something interesting were to happen any second up there.

A few seconds later my mom popped her head in through the door and watched me with worry. It's the same look I got pretty much every day since the accident five months before we moved to Jersey. I get that as a mother, the accident I was in must've been very scary. Hell, I would've been scared to death if I were her. To have a mute daughter must be pretty tiring as well, not that I required much attention or anything like that but I guess she blamed herself a lot for what happened to me, not that she should've.

''Amelia honey, please get dressed. You don't want to be late for the first day of school. I'll drive you both in forty minutes, be ready by then'' she said with her smooth almost whispering voice.

Once again I rolled my eyes and grabbed my small whiteboard and started to write something down. At the same time my sister widened her eyes and looked at my mom like she was a ghost. ''Forty minutes? How can you only give me that?!'' Emma quickly ran out of her room and supposedly into the bathroom again. By that time, I had finished my sentence and held the board up for my mom to see.

''I wouldn't miss it for the world''

The problem with writing everything down was the lack of making things sound sarcastic, so in this case my mom took what I said seriously and clapped her hands together in happiness before leaving me alone with my troubled thoughts again.

I didn't have that much time with my thoughts until the snooze time was over and the alarm went off again. This time though I raised my right hand to turn it off completely and tried to let out a groan, which only came out as a puff of air and a small faint squeal, before tossing my legs over the side of my bed letting my cold feet hit the even colder floor, sending shivers down my spine.