Chapter 1: Going Away

“La- Sia!” my mom screams as I’m trying to get some sleep.

“Alasia Destiny Gates! If you don’t get yo’ ass up…..i work 14 hours a day to bring food into this house for yall lil’ asses and when….(blah -blah- blah) “ she says as she carries on with her mindless annoying conversation.

Its 8:30 now and school starts at 9:00.So I hoped out of the bed and ran to take a shower. When I came out I put on a green crop top that says “Love is all I need!” Then I put on some badge knee length cargo shorts and some green and white Adidas sneakers. I had on a gold chain and earrings set that said Alasia. I looked so fly! As usual, everyone was going to want to look like me.

When I finished getting dressed I ran downstairs to eat breakfast. My mom and my 7 year old little sister, Arianna, was sitting at the table going over her spelling words, with my mother, for her spelling bee.

“Morning ma!” I say, having to play it off after she just cursed me out, less than 20 minutes ago.

“Morning baby girl, come here!” I smiled as I went over to kiss and hug her (man this woman’s bipolar).

“How you gon’ get you and Arianna to school on time. I mean its 8:50 now and you still didn’t leave the house?” my mother asks aggregately.

“Laurens taking me. She’s gonna’ pick me up and take me to school in her car.” “Where’s Jawan?” I ask.

“You know how your brother; is the same bumb he always and ever will be. Probably in the streets handing out with Devin”! My mother replies. Jawan is my biological brother. Devin is his dope- selling friend that has no life. So because my brother chooses to act like he’s bad , that’s his new best friend. I just stood quiet.

 We’ll anyways; look I’m going on a business trip, for a few weeks. Laurens’ mom and I spoke and we said that Laurens going to stay with you and Arianna for the weeks I’m gone.

“Wait, how many weeks are we talkin’”.

“About 5 to 7 because the state of Florida is battling with the state of New York for certain reasons. I leave tonight”.

“So why can’t daddy stay with us ?“  I knew that was a bad question because when I asked her she gave me that imma’-bout- to smack- the- mess- outta’-you look. So I decided to shut up and act like I never asked that question.

Arianna!” I shouted. “Let’s go! Lauren and Jaylen are waiting for you! What are you doing!”

I’m coming! I’m coming! I have to finish my love letter!

“A love note?!” I said as I ran up stairs trying to figure out what the heck she was talking about.

“A what?” I asked her

“A love note to my friend.” She says

“What friend?” I ask

“My friend, Christian”

“Who? -For what?” I said in rage.

“So we can hook up. Were in love and we can’t help it!” she says like its normal.

Hook up where – little girl if you don’t get your little black behind downstairs….you only 2 years old talkin’ bout love –I’m about this close to pulling you by ya' forehead . Dont even play.“ I said as I picked up a belt ready to chase her (I mean hey- I’m only 15,in the 10th grade ,but I’m still her big sister; which means I can still give the spankings around here). 

“Now let’s go! Now!” I yell as she’s giving me the cry baby face.