Chapter 6

Sam keeps standing there, open-mouthed and frozen.

I walk up to him, tentatively. "Sam?"

He turns to me slowly. He blinks. "Emma, I-I I think my brother is m-missing."

"What?!" l screech. My scream seems to wake him up out of his state because the next thing I know Sam is dragging me out the door and we're running through the forest.

"Sam! Sam, what are we doing?"

"We're trying to find my brother," he says, peeking behind a tree.

"What?!" I exclaim. I turn to look at him. Why didn't he tell me his brother was missing?

I know where he is.

"What?" I ask. He looks at me funny.

"Huh?"

I know where he is.

"Did you say something?"

"No."

"Oh."

Follow me.

"What?"

"Huh?"

"Are you sure you didn't say anything?"

"Yeah."

Come on, Emma.

"Sam, stop fooling around."

"Emma, I'm not fooling around, he really is missing."

Emma! We have to hurry!

"Sam, I think I'm hearing the voice again."

He turns to me. "Emma, this isn't a good time for that."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, stop trying to hog attention, my brother is missing!"

"I'm not trying to hog attention!"

"Yes you are."

"No, I'm not."

Emma!

"Sam!"

"What?!" he growls.

Emma! He's going to die!

"What do you mean?"

"Emma, stop talking to yourself."

"Can't you hear it?"

"No."

Follow me!

"Okay," I whisper. "Where are you?"

Over here.

I follow the voice until I reach the docks. When I get there a body is floating in the water.

Emma, save him!

The voice is crying now. I run down to the water. I try to pull the body out, but it's stuck. I dive down and look for a way to pull the body out. I see a rope and I pull at it, it doesn't budge. I need air.

There's a knife on the end of the dock.

I look around and see the knife. I go over and grab it. I go back over to the body, I don't dare to look and see who it is. I dive down again. This time I'm able to get the rope undone. I swim back to the surface and drag the body to the side of the docks. I turn the body over. It's Matt and he's not breathing.

Good luck, Emma.

I'm momentarily distracted from my task. I turn toward the water, there's a little girl standing there. She's waving and she looks like my sister.