Journey

He let go of my hand after I said that. He also sort of looked like he'd been punched in the stomach.

"Because of me?" he asked, and I told him no, of course not, it's because I need to work on my eyebeams. And that's true. But, if I don't lie to myself at all, it's a lot because of him.

Burt it really isn't all him. Maybe half of it's him. I need to work on my eyebeams. I'm so close to being able to work them.

I called my mom after I left Damian's apartment and we made arrangements for me to leave tomorrow morning.

The only thing I'm kind of upset about is that this throws off my plans for college. I already made a few deposits, but I guess it's not really a big deal. I'm glad I used my money and not my dad's.

I'm going to pay for the apartment while I'm gone. Obviously, I'm not going to be working and I don't have that kind of money on my own, but my mom's taking care of it. I don't know if she'll be exchanging space credits, which she certainly has plenty of, or if she's using old Earth money from when she used to live here.

I can't visit my dad, so I have to settle for calling him. I feel kind of bad, but I think he was expecting something like this because I've been telling him about the problems with my eyebeams and my mom has been suggesting that I go see her. I apologize for leaving so abruptly, but he tells me it's okay. He feels bad, I think, because I've never had to develop a power on my own. My mom was still around when I got my flight, strength, and starbolts. Maybe he's even relieved, because I've been sort of frustrated lately.

I call Lian on Skype. She'll be mad at me for leaving so abruptly, but she'll also get it because she has her own set of mommy issues that are way worse than mine will ever be.

"Why now?" she asks when I tell her. "Why not wait until after this semester?"

"I don't know, Li," I answer evasively. "You know that my stupid powers are giving me a hard time."

She shrugs. "It's not the first time you've gone off on an impulse."

Rude.

"But usually something sparks that impulse," she adds. "Everything okay?"

"Well… my dad got shot."

"Oh my god," she gasps. "Is he alright?"

"Yeah," I answer. "He's fine. His arm's gonna be sore, but he's okay. It scared me, that's all."

Lian's satisfied with that answer and she doesn't ask for anything else, but I feel guilty not telling her everything.

"…and then I kissed Damian," I mutter.

"You what?" she demands. "Why?"

"Um… you know. The usual reasons."

"I knew it," she says smugly, and I glare at her.

"Excuse me?"

"You love him," she sings.

"X'hal, shut up. I do not." I'm blushing and my hair's on its way to catching fire.

"God, I don't know what screwed you up so bad you think Damian's an acceptable makeout buddy," she mumbles.

"I am never telling you anything again," I snap.

"You always say that."

"Don't say anything to him about it," I plead, and this is all feeling very childish.

"Are you kidding? He'll chop off my head with a giant sword if he knows I know." She pauses, and then she says, "So, what, you're running away to Tamaran?"