Chapter 10

Chance

Michelle was silent, as I drove her home from ice skating at Central Park. She got out of the car and slammed my car door. She pulled out her house keys and didn't turn around, or say goodbye. She was furious with me over the fact, I had kissed Avalon and not her.

She was being so ridiculous. I'm dating her not, Avalon. How are we arguing over a relationship that no longer exists?

Today was the first time, I've seen Avalon in two months. I didn't invite her to my father's funeral, and I haven't even gone to see her perform in her Play yet. That's how nonexistent our relationship is.

And yet, today my heart was bursting inside my chest. It thumped when I saw her trying to keep her balance, as she was holding hands and trying to skate with Liliana. She looked as beautiful as always. I didn't realize my eyes portrayed what I was thinking about her.

Michelle nailed it! I can't bring myself to kiss her, as if she were Avalon. What I felt, from just a simple touch of her hand, or a gentle kiss on her lips was like nothing I could explain. No woman could affect me like, Avalon.

This is how I remember her. . . . She came from her audition, and met me for lunch in Central Park. We sat on the bench eating gyros. That was the day of our first kiss. I will never forget my lips smiling back on hers, as she kissed me back. That simple gesture meant so much to me.

She caught my eye on her very first day working at The Coffee Bar.

Flashback. . .

An obnoxious customer on line yelled, "Hey sweetheart, I know you're new here, but I'm in a rush to get to work. Could you speed things up a little bit?"

I turned and looked at him like he was an idiot. "Can't you see, she's handling a lot of orders, not just yours? She's new, and doing the best she can under the circumstances. Give her a break."

The customer felt stupid after I said that. He didn't open his mouth again. She was always so sweet and humble. Once she was there for a couple of weeks, she got the hang of it. I always gave her a big tip, she seemed like this job was important for her to keep. I wasn't surprised, when she told me that she was a struggling actress.

I had a crush on her from the moment I saw her, with those hazel, almost amber looking eyes.  She was enthralling to watch. I looked forward to seeing her every morning and ordering my caramel macchiato. She made it just right. I never worked up the nerve to ask her name or ask her out. I knew my mother wouldn't approve, automatically.

I was a boy and now, a man who always did what my parents wanted for me.

End of Flashback. . .

Avalon

Of all the days to run into Chance, with his new girlfriend.

"Liliana, I'm going to take a break from skating sweetie. Your mommy and I will watch you skate. You're so good at it." I had to stop and talk to Megan after that encounter, with Chance and Michelle.

"Oh you're good! Liliana, will be skating by herself for a while, with that compliment." Megan chuckled.

"Can you believe that Chance is actually dating and that Michelle, of all people?" I was still annoyed at her treating me of little significance.