Chapter 1

It’s usually rare whenever I have friends over. My parents still get excited about it every time. The only reason I’m having “friends” over is because I am finally switching schools. It’s a boarding school my parents both went to and according to them; it’s where they both first met. I never really care to hear the story anyway but they bring it up every time I mention the new school.

            “Oh you know it’s where your mother and I first met.’

“Yes, it was very romantic I could always tell that your father always had his eye on me...”

                        That’s when they start droning on and on and I never really care to listen about the rest. The reason I’m really going to this new school is because I really need to challenge my mind. The school I’m at right now doesn’t help me so much with that. They kind of just give the homework and expect us to understand it even though they never actually taught the full lesson so I need a change in my life. I’ve never really had any friends at the school I am at now. I am not much of a social type hopefully it will all change as soon I get to a new place.

            Oh you want to know who I am? I guess that will help us get along with the story more now won’t it? My name is Melanie Moat but just call me Melanie or Mel for short. I have blonde-brownish colored hair and blue eyes. Kind of like the sea or so my dad says. I’m kind of a geek about art which kind of explains how I haven’t really had that many friends I guess. But being in an art show for the past 5 years does have its perks. Actually, not many but it’s still pretty cool.

Anyway, the party that I held in the event of me going away didn’t work out so well. Only two friends showed up. They only stayed for about 4 minutes and most of the time they were here; it was just moments of awkward silences between us. Thankfully, they left very shortly or else I would have a mental breakdown by that point.

            After that, all happened my parents kept staring at me and looking like they were going to cry. Either because I was leaving in a few hours or because they wanted to cry because their daughter wasn’t exactly the social butterfly they hoped to have except they weren’t much of social butterflies themselves so I have no idea where I would get that idea from.

                        We have to be leaving in a few minutes but I can tell my parents are trying to figure out what type of parent thing they should say in the moment. Other than being the social butterflies they are, they are definitely always know what to say. Hopefully, you get that what stating is sarcasm by now and I really mean hopefully.

            “We are really sad to see you go.” Says my mother in the most monotone voice you can possibly imagine. “It won’t be the same without you.” Says my father in an ever more droning sort of tone. As if they couldn’t be any more enthusiastic.

“Let’s just get going okay?” I say hoping they get the message on how awkward this is. They nod so they did. Awesome.

            After 2 hours of going up hills and going down different streets. The new school I’m going to is called Point Place Boarding School. All of the goodbyes are over and I start towards my new dorm room. I am kinda of excited about the dorm room because I am going to be sharing it with another girl my age. Hopefully we become really good friends just like in the movies. This will definitely be a step up from what my life was before. I get to my door and grab my new key and yank the door wide open. As soon as I see a girl with brown hair and the best fashion sense I’ve ever seen. It was a black crop top with a floral printed skirt. She also had black combat boots which defiantly beat my clothes which was a white tee shirt that had a name of a band that I didn’t even really like anymore and dark jeans. Let’s not forget my glasses.

            “Hi! I’m Kalel. It’s really nice to meet you. What’s your name?”

“Uh…Melanie.” I say. Wow what a great way to make a first impression. “I’m new here.”

            “Oh what grade?”

“11th. You?”

            “Oh same here. It’s kinda here around here sometimes but you can make it fun like I do. Tomorrow, you can come and meet the gang but it really is late right now. So we can do that tomorrow.”

“That sounds great! Sleep well okay?”

            “Sleep well Melanie.”

                        I quickly get into my pajamas and brush my teeth. I’ve already unpacked my things but their wasn’t really much to begin with.

            I climb right onto the top of the bunk bed with both share now.

            She turns off the light and I close my tired eyes. Hopefully, tomorrow everything changes or none of this will be worth it.