Prologue

Reincarnation; the rebirth of a soul in a new body.

It's really a thing, apparently.

I'll keep it short.

I died.

Then I woke up.

The name's Cassidy Bennett.

As my last name implies, I'm a witch.

Abominations, Cassidy found, was fairly common in the world she now lived in. Well, not really abominations, more like what witches considered abominations. Which was like a lot of beings, considering Nature apparently was very picky about whether someone was meant to exist or not.

Vampires, for example, were classified as abominations by approximately 80% of the witch/warlock population. Cassidy considered herself part of the twenty percent that didn't mind vampires, and to some extent even liked them. Actually, if Cassidy was being honest, she was fascinated by anything and everything supernatural. Maybe it was because she too was supernatural.

But, perhaps the supernatural community wasn't really fascinated by her. Witches, at least.

You see, Cassidy Bennett was also an abomination, hence another reason she was fascinated by vampires.

Though, to make it clear, Cassidy considered abominations special.

No witch knew exactly why Cassidy was an abomination, they just...knew. They felt it. Just like a witch could tell apart their fellow witches or tell if someone's a vampire upon touch, they could tell that Cassidy wasn't normal. And Cassidy, well, she never really cared to explain that she was a reincarnation of a greedy dead surgeon. Besides, why should she care about being special?

That's what Abby Bennett, her dear mother, called her.

Special.

Maybe that's why Cassidy also considered her fellow outcasts of Nature, special. Though she was sure her mother didn't really mean for her to think of vampires as special or anything, but the laws of cause and effect practically predicted this little quirk of Cassidy's.

Obviously, Cassidy loved her mother dearly.

In return, Abby loved her a great deal too.

If someone were to ask her what her mother was like, Cassidy wouldn't be able to shut up. Because her mother was just amazing. Abby was beautiful, brilliant, smart, kind and powerful. Abby was the one who taught her about the supernatural world, even teaching Cassidy her first spell when Cassidy had turned eight. Which involved making feathers levitate around the room.

Cassidy would never forget the proud look Abby wore that day.

"You're going to grow into a strong witch, my little fox."

She'd never forget the warmth that filled her at her mother's look. And perhaps, maybe, just maybe, she wouldn't end up as cold as she did in her previous life. Maybe she would actually be good this time around.

She'd make sure her mother doesn't get turned into a vampire by Damon. She'd do right by Bonnie.

Bonnie...

Her little sister.

Seven years younger than her.

Really, Cassidy couldn't help the bitterness that crept inside her at Bonnie's name. Don't get Cassidy wrong, she loved her sister dearly. But at the same time she couldn't help the jealousy that crept up in her whenever Abby would hold Bonnie. Call her greedy, but she only wanted Abby to look at her. Bonnie already had Sheila.