Chapter 1 (Sabina)- Abyss

The drive was awkward, as always. The county music quietly played through the stereo of the pickup truck. The truck smelled of cigarettes and her dad's cologne.
The high school came into view and her father pulled to a thudding stop, pressing the brakes.
"What are you doing?" I asked politely.
"I have to turn down that street and I need to save my gas for more important things than taking you 6 more more blocks. Get out." he said, not even looking up at me.
"But dad-" he cut me off.
"But shit. Get out!" He said as he flicked his lighter to his cigarette.
I jumped out of the car with my book bag and he pulled of. I looked down at my white tee shirt, slightly stained with blue paint. Me and moma paint all the time and I just happened to keep the shirt we first started in.

I know he loves me, I mean he kept me alive. He has to love me. Right?

I shook the thought out of my head a started the long walk to school.

I was 2 blocks away when I heard a car engine and loud music. I kept walking until I heard it slow down beside me.

"Hey Sabina. Want a ride?" I heard the voice say.

I  froze in my spot, I didn't even have to turn my head to know who the deep, husky voice belonged to. It was Jake, the boy I'd been drooling over since freshman year. And he's only gotten hotter since. His accent was even stronger now that he's older and has more base in his voice.

He snapped his fingers signalling that I had been standing there practically drooling like a idiot over the fact that he knew my name.

I cleared my throat, which sounded more as if I was choking, then turned to him.

"Umm.. uhh. ye-yeah. A ride would be great. As long as it won't cause you any trouble." I managed to choke out, barely.

He just simply replied "Cool" and opened stretched his long brown arm over and pushed his shiny red door open.

And I just stood there, again, like an idiot, with a wide stupid grin.

"It would work better if you would actually get IN the car." he laughed.

I stumbled over and got in the car bumping my head on the top of the seat with a thud.\

Jake held back his laugh and made a gagging noise.

"You good?" he managed to say without laughing.

"Yeah I'm fine, just stings a little." I said, avoiding eye contact with him.

"Here lemme take a look." he proposed, grabbing my chin so I could face him.

I stared straight into his dark brown eyes getting lost in them like an endless hole.