Chapter 4- Purple Blue

As I walk down the road I repeat the phone numbers over and over.

The cool air flowing past my face.

I probably have repeatedly said this word over 100 times since I've left the house.

My head starts to hurt and I pull my hair down from it's bun.

My father thinks a young women should always keep her hair pulled back. Especially the ones he is related to.

He didn't raise an ugly child. He says. And they better not hide their face.

I think I look okay either way. And I like my hair down better. The buns are tight and trigger headaches.

The wind blew through my hair. My curls whipped all around my warm brown skin.

I don't remember my momma much. She left about 8 years ago. I'm 16 now. I barely remember her face. Father won't show me any pictures or tell me anything about her or where she might be.

"She don't want us anymore girl". He says when I ask.

I can see why she left him. But why me?

I was so in my head I didn't notice Jake's slowly driving beside me.

I guess he'd been talking for a while, while I was in my own world.
He speeds up and I half expect him o keep going. But he pulls over up ahead and gets out of the car.

I stop in shock.
What the hell is he doing?

He walks towards me and stops. Staring like I have a third eye.

"You don't quit do you?" I say looking at my feet.

"No. No I don't. Especially when I meet someone as secretive and interesting as you." He smiles the half, bright smile. That makes any girl shudder.

"Thanks I guess." I continue looking my feet as I walk to brush pass him.

Before I get by him he reaches out to stop me and I flinch.
Fuck I'm stupid.
Rule #1 coming out of an abuse home. Never flinch. It gets people worried.

I look up and catch his worried eyes.

I just run. Run as fast as I can. All the way to school.

__________________________
The lunch bell rings and I roll my eyes like I do everyday.
As I always do I go into the bathroom first.
I like to make sure everything looks remotely decent and lowkey. Hair not too on point. Outfit not do ugly.
Nothing for anyone to talk about. Stay unnoticed.

As I push the bathroom door open I hit someone.

"What the fuck!" She screeches.

Oh no, Aniya.

That's just what I need. Aniya Perry. She's the most known girl in school. Ex girlfriend to the one and only Jake. They unexpectedly broke up for the 3rd time in the last 2 months last week. I breathing seemed so good between those two. There weren't even any posts on social media per usual before they broke up. No argument, just done.

And whenever you ask either one of them what happened they both shrug or say it just isn't working out.

I stand frozen looking at her angry face.
You never really see her smile in person.

I use the school computer to go on Instagram. I don't have a phone or computer so I just use that.
I mostly use Instagram for my digital art and fashion design.

"Bitch what do you think you're doing? Looking at me in my face." She says through her teeth.

I look away.
I've never fought a day in my life I don't want to been noticed so I stay out of everything.

"Good." She bumps past me and stomps away.

I go into the bathroom. Tears brimming at my eyes.

If only people knew my life maybe they'd be a little nicer.

I'm glad I'm strong. Or I probably would be dead and gone.
But I have to make it and prover everyone wrong. Especially father. And mom too, so she sees the women she gave up on.

I wipe my tears as I hear a shuffle in the corner.

"Hey I wasn't bugging or nothing. I didn't come to watch anyone cry. Just hiding out til lunch is over." a gurl says.

She looks pretty bad ass. Big gold bamboo earrings. Combat boots. Jean skirt with a thick buckled belt. Black fishnets. And a black cami crop top.
Her curly hair fell below her shoulders and there were a few purple and blue streaks here and there.

She stands to her feet and leaves before I could speak.
_______________________
I stay in the bathroom until there is 4 minutes left of the 40 minute lunch period.

I slip in the door closest to the food.
The lunch ladies are expecting me by now.

"How are you today honey." She says slipping my usual lunch.

A slice of pizza and I spicy cesar salad. With a bottled water, all I drink.

"Thank you. I'm fine how are you." I smile big.
She is the only one since mom to ask me how I'm doing.

I arrive early to my next class to eat my lunch before the bell rung.
My teacher looks up and smiles. As I come in.

I turn and notice the purple and blue streaks. She must have been new. That explains why she talked to me.

I avoided eye contact and quietly ate my lunch rapidly.