Chapter 1

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

I can't help it. Staring at myself in the mirror, all dressed up in my wedding attire, I can't feel a single thing.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Numb. That is what I am right now. I am not happy with this alliance but I can't do anything about it. I want to talk to my best friend but I can't because he hates me.

Tick.

Tock.

I am about to be married to a man that Nanu chose for me.

A man that I do not love.

A man whom I considered my friend. Just a friend.

Tick.

I want to scream so loud. Shout that I can't take it anymore. This pain, this hollowness inside of me that is growing every second I get closer to marrying him. The void that only one person could fill.

My best friend.

The man I love.

My forever love.

How do I tell him that I love him when won't even look at me?

Ti...

"Suman Di?" Preeti calls me, pulling me from my thoughts. I look at her in the mirror standing behind me with her hands on my shoulder, eyes filled with sadness for me. "It's time, Di. Aditya is waiting for you."

It's time.

✤✤✤✤✤✤

I am walking towards the mandap with Preeti by my side and as soon as I enter the room I can hear a hush fall over the room. I look up to see all the people around me looking at me in awe, smiling, waiting, watching. But my eyes seek only one... Shravan. 

I find him standing at the side on the far back, not away from the crowd but not in it either, looking dapper in his black suit, looking at me with a stoic face but his eyes, his eyes are filled with pain that I am responsible for. So much pain. Not able to look at him anymore I avert my eyes to the man sitting at the mandap, decorated to perfection and exactly how I wanted it to look. 

A square platform with gold beams on each corner, pink coloured drapes fanning out on all sides, interspersed with fairy lights,  at the top making the roof of the mandap. From where the drapes end flowers hang in a small curtain all around in every colour imaginable. More fairy lights are wrapped around on the gold beams, emanating a soft warm glow all over the mandap making it look gorgeous and inviting. 

He remembered... 

  ✤✤✤✤✤✤