HOUSE OF HAYDAR - LION OF HAYDAR

CHAPTER ONE

Replacing the phone, Assad ibn Al’Haydar, looked up as one of his men entered his private study to place down a computer tablet filled with the data he had asked for. Running his finger down the side, he read about James Carter’s proposal, dismissing his aide with a flick of a hand.

Finding nothing that really sparked his interest, he proceeded to read the man’s profile, and that of his primary staff members. Again, there was nothing outstanding or different. Finally he pulled up James’ personal assistant’s profile.

His heart stilled, then roared in his ears like a raging fire as all colour drained from his face. He stared at the stunning green-eyed redhead; shocked. He couldn't believe it. Five years had passed. Surely he couldn't be that lucky? He didn't believe in luck, he believed in making things happen.     

He reached across to the intercom and his secretary answer instantly. “Get the Jet fuelled and ready to leave by the end of the day. We are heading to Melbourne, Australia, and get Carter on the line. I do not care what time it is there, he will talk to me. I also need a full background profile on a Miss Isabella Marshall by the time I arrive in Australia.”

Releasing the intercom, he rose and crossed the Persian carpet to stand in front of the full length window, staring across the Persian Gulf, hands behind his robed back. He released a long drawn out breath. It felt like he had been running a manathon.

The phone rang. He glanced back over his shoulder to his desk, then across to the portrait hanging above the fireplace of a very beautiful redhead aristocrat. Lady Annabelle Winston-Smyth. A hard glint entered his eyes and cruel smile touched his well-shaped lips as he went to answer. At last his search was over.

Finally, vengeance would be his.

****

Racing out the door, Bella Marshall headed for the stairs. She didn't have time to wait for the elevator. Lifting up her evening gown she skipped down the stairs as fast as she could go in high heels without breaking her neck, holding onto the rail as she went down and around.

Really the man was too much. Calling her out of the blue like that. Giving her half an hour to get ready and expect her to be happy about it. She had been in the spa for goodness sake.

Interrupted twice, first by Andy, demanding to know where she was. So what if she missed a dinner get together, that didn't give him the right to act as though she answered to him. She wanted a night in, not a noisy gossip-fest. Really not her thing.

Then her boss James Carter, a young, brilliant millionaire business magnate, expected her to drop whatever she was doing to be at his side. After running her off her feet all day, that was pushing it too far as far as she was concerned.

Just a few more flights to go, pausing momentarily to catch her breath, then pushed on.

Maybe she shouldn't have that glass of champagne. Then again, she hadn't expected to go out either. Her stomach rumbled, reminding her of the duck she had planned to order in. It wasn't fair. She was looking forward to that duck.

Arriving on the ground floor, she took a moment to catch her breath, face flushed. She ran hands down her golden dress, tossed back her hair, then pushed open the fire door exit to enter the foyer of the up-market apartment block.

Bella waved at the security guard in passing, who smiled back. She went through the opening glass sliding door, just in time, as a long black, slick stretch Limousine pulled up. Opening the door, she lowered onto the plush leather seat to be driven away as she pulled the door closed. Obviously, they were running late, she observed, glancing at the man at her side, giving him the once over.