Chapter 24 // Unexpected Guest

My palms were sweaty. My stomach had gone from unsettled to absolutely bonkers. I couldn't understand why I felt so nervous, maybe it was just a lack of air from the severely tight corset pinching at my waist.

"Are you okay?" Choa asked me, looking up from her hand mirror, twisting her lipstick down and placing the cap on.

My senses sharpened, the girls behind chatting away, slowly filing out of the door towards the ball.

"Huh?" I jumped at her voice slightly. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine."

"Why are you so nervous? You look absolutely stunning!" She smiled gently, tucking her short hair behind her ear and placing the lipstick she had in her small clutch bag.

I stared at her pale, pretty hands. Her nails were slightly glittery, complimenting the silver set of bangles on her thin wrists. Her dress was beautiful - a very slim, jet black, halterneck mermaid dress. She turned to me, her chandelier earrings glinting in the dim light of the kitchen.

"Thanks," I replied quietly, feeling my face flush red. "I've never felt like this before, and I've certainly never been in such a lovely dress. I don't think I've ever felt this pretty before."

Choa smiled sweetly, gently taking my hand and squeezing it. She quickly let go and left with some other girls, her black high heels clicking against the floor tiles.

I stood in the kitchen alone, the only noises audible were the steady dripping of the tap and the quiet hum of the orchestra in the main hall. I stood there for a bit, mentally preparing myself for the swarms of waltzing couples and punch-infused bodies close together, chatting and dancing and having a great time.

I caught my reflection in the large, brass vase in the middle of the table. The shiny metal revealed a girl who I felt I didn't know. She seemed scared and vulnerable despite being dressed in the finest gown and having a considerate amount of makeup on her uneasy face.

Scaring me out of my thoughts, Soon-Yi trotted down the stairs and to the door, slightly out of breath.

"There you are!" She sighed, hurrying forward and grabbing my wrist. "He's been waiting for you!"

Soon-Yi pulled me up to the main foyer, running down to the main hall, trying hard not to fall over on her high heels.

As we were approaching the entrance, I felt the butterflies once again.

We stopped right outside, Soon-Yi turning to me, fixing my hair and necklace.

"I don't think I can do this." I said, breathing heavily.

She stopped for a second, "What do you mean?"

I looked down, slightly embarrassed, playing with the ring on my finger.

"I feel so nervous. I've never been to a ball before, what if I do something wrong? What if I make a fool out of myself in front of all of these posh people?"

"Choi Min-Hyo!" Soon-Yi began, "You are the most beautiful girl I have ever had the fortune of meeting, both inside and out! I really wish you weren't this self concious. You know you're amazing! Now get in there, find your Prince Charming and spend the rest of the night having fun!"

I chuckled, leaping forward and hugging my best friend as tightly as I could.

"Thank you." I whispered into her ear.

"Stop stalling!" She scoffed, pushing me towards the door.

The 2 doormen opened the large, ornate, wooden doors, letting the huge wall of old music and voices swell into our ears.

Suddenly, everyone became silent and turned around to set their eyes upon small, nervous me. There were many people I had never seen before, many with extravagant hats, detailed suits and the most exquisite dresses ever made. Part of me felt even more vulnerable than I had first imagined, but part of me felt more confident than I had ever done in my whole entire life.

I managed to spot Kyungsoo, about to drink his cup of red toned punch. His eyes drifted over to me, as he took a gulp. When he finally realised who I was, the brightly coloured drink in his mouth ended up back in the cup and all over the table.

He flashed the brightest smile, clambering over the guests, running to me.

In that moment, as he pushed through eagerly, it had only just occurred to me how handsome he looked. His navy blue suit jacket paired with his slim navy trousers really complimented him. The crisp white shirt poking out from the top of the buttoned jacket seemed naturally creased and unironed, as usual. The gold embellishments glistened in the bright light of the room and I had noticed he had his golden crown upon his messy dark hair.

He stopped in front of me, the goofiest grin I had ever seen plastered across his stupid lips.

"Hi." He whispered, unaware of the shifting eyes of the guests.

"Hello." I curtsied, shyly smiling at him.

The guests slowly went back to their chatting and the music picked up once again.

"You look...beautiful." Kyungsoo gasped, eye me up and down.

"You don't look too bad yourself." I chuckled.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me through the crowded space. I peered over at my shoulder hoping to find Soon-Yi chuckling at the both of us, but she wasn't there.

I continued following Kyungsoo, who was dancing to himself, and muttering apologies to the people around him. He pulled me to an empty space in the middle of the room, surrounded by dancing couples. The cheery song made the situation lighter, Kyungsoo turning to me, placing his free hand on my waist and flashing a cheeky smile.

He started to swirl me around messily, jiving and jerking around the area. The upbeat notes of the music lifted my spirits and rendered me sufficiently happy enough to dance just as much as Kyungsoo. Despite the strange looks we were receiving, the two of us were content with having fun and letting go.

The sound grew louder and the dancing more intense. I felt drunk off of Kyungsoo's energy.

The pace got quicker. Our feet pounding at the sturdy floor in time with the hurried music. Our bodies moved together in sync. We sort of became one entity, swaying a whirling around and around and around.

"PRINCE KYUNGSOO!!"

A loud, deep shout halted the joyful daze we were in. The music stopped abruptly and the guests were staring up at the direction of where the voice came, confused.

What we were seeing was not a dream.

My chest went tight and my mouth became dry. The deep, horrible feeling inside my stomach came back.

"Lord Chanyeol." Kyungsoo muttered in disbelief.

"Soon-Yi!" I gasped.

~~~~

A/N: Hey guys!

I'm back again!! I'm sorry if this isn't a good chapter, I did try aha :))

I feel like there have been soOO MANY comebacks recently its hard to keep track haha!! But lemme say EXO's Kokobop is an absolute bOP!! SNSD have finally made a comeback!! Wanna One are slaying my existence!! There are so many more!!!!!!!

I hope you are all doing well and are happy!

Remember to drink water and look after yourself and each other <3

Lots of Love // Olivia