Chapter 3

Laura had given Carmilla a ride home because she had missed her bus and it was raining.
      "I don't live that far. I can totally walk." Carmilla had said. "Really, it's not a big deal."
"It's fine. I don't mind. Danny probably isn't home anyway, so I have time." Laura replied.
        So Carmilla got in the car and Laura drove her home. "I'm not the best at hospitality, but you can come up if you want. Like it's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's not the worst either." She told the driver.
      Laura thought about it. She actually really wanted to. Carmilla was pretty cool. She was cracking her up all day at work. She had told Laura that she played several instruments and she would have loved to hear her play. But Danny wouldn't be very happy about that.
      "Rain check? I have to go home and get dinner ready and get the house cleaned and all that. Maybe sometime this weekend?" she asked her as the girl got out of the passenger seat.
       "Sure. That works. I'll see you at work tomorrow then, cupcake." she said with a smirk as she shut the door and went up the stairs and into her apartment building.

     Laura walked into her and Danny's apartment and found her girlfriend sitting there on the couch with a beer in her hand and a bottle on the end table.
     "Where have you been? I thought you were gonna be home by eight?" She asked with an angry look on her face.
     "I just took Carmilla, the new girl, home from work because it was raining. Plus its late and she's new. She should't be walking around Memphis this late anyways, it's not safe." Laura said as she took off her jacket and hung it up next to her keys.
     "So what? She's your responsibility off the clock now too? I knew this was a bad idea."
Danny scolded.
     "It's not like that. I just wanted to help her out. I just told you why I took her home. No one made me, and to be honest I figured you weren't gonna be home yet."
      Danny was off the couch and in her face before she even knew what was happening.
"So are you trying to be sneaky? Is that what this is?" She asked a doe eyed Laura.
"No I just-" "You just what? Would rather spend more time with someone else? You said you were coming home after work and you lied to me." Danny interrupted. "I didn't lie to you. I didnt know it was going to be raining!"
      Laura barely saw the hand before she felt the sting of it on her cheek again.
"I'm sorry," she cried."I wasn't doing anything bad with her. I just wanted her home safely." She said through tear filled eyes.  "I think you're lying. I think you do have other intentions with this girl. I think you should quit this damn job Laura. Put in your two weeks tomorrow. Ill see you later. I'm going out. I don't have time for your bullshit." Danny said as she shoved Laura out of her way making her bounce her head off the wall before walking out the door.
     She didnt understand. Why was Danny always so angry with her? She tried not to make her angry, she tried to love her. Why was she never satisfied? Laura slid down the wall into the fetal position she had become so used to being in and she didn't move until it was time to get ready for work the next morning.