03 | unexpected

"Great things never came from comfort zones."

- unknown

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

            MY DAYS WERE painfully similar, nothing to stop them from bleeding into one. I would wake up, think about how my business was failing, go to work, come home, and worry some more about how I would make it out of this seemingly bottomless pit.

           I just kept falling and there was absolutely no solid ground for me to stand on. I hadn't even been to the coffee shop, my most sacred place, in weeks, opting out of spending the extra money on seemingly frivolous things.

             Today was different though, I woke up with a renewed sense of hope, something that happened only once in a blue moon.

           It felt like my brain had held up a magnifying glass and I could see clearer. I guess speaking to Penny had seemed to add some perspective. I am strong and I could do this.

             I changed into a simple pair of ripped-knee jeans and put on a rather colorful button up shirt leaving the top three buttons undone. I left my hair down today in untamed dark curls and put on my glasses instead of contacts. I decided to follow my new found optimistic perspective and change up my recently repetitive schedule.

               It's weird how reassuring it was stepping into a familiar place, it felt like home. The chaotically beautiful Monday morning coffee buzz. There was a John Mayer song playing gently through the speakers and I subconsciously hummed along wondering if I should change my redundant coffee order.

           There was comfort in my seemingly mundane black coffee but maybe it was time to step up and try something new, knowing that I needed to do the same with the bakery.

              "Good morning Beatrice," Aubree the barista smiled cheerfully up at me. "The regular?" It was less of a question and more of a statement because she knew that I did not change my coffee order.

                "Actually Aubree, I'm feeling a tad eccentric today. Could I have a Peppermint Mocha? Just to change it up," I felt oddly proud, one small change at a time I told myself. The small barista looked stunned, I know, me too, I agreed with her. She then quickly busied herself making my drink.

                 I stood waiting at the counter for my drink when I felt something on my leg. I ignored it until the tapping became more insistent. I finally looked down and was slightly surprised to find a small child at my feet. "Excuse me?" She stared up at me, blue eyes pouring into my green. She was sweet, dressed in a floral dress, blonde hair pinned out of her face.

               "Hello," I said invitingly and crouched down. "How may I help you, young lady?" She beamed up at me.

              "I just wanted to tell you that your shirt is pretty." She said in a shy voice starting to retreat away from me. I looked down at my rather unconventionally colorful top thinking that maybe this was a sign.

             "Well, thank you! You look absolutely stunning in your dress." The small girl grinned with pride and turned around going to the back of the line at cash. I looked over to where she had marched over to. My eyes wandered up to the parent of the little girl and I gave a small smile before fully realizing who it was. I was sure my jaw had dropped and my eyes had popped out of my head in pure shock.

               I immediately turned around, it was him, coffee shop guy.

               He looked utterly similar to when I had initially seen him several weeks ago. His dark hair was unchanged, slicked back with gel. He wore a suit similar to his last one in style, pressed to perfection, but instead it was a navy blue color. It took me a full moment to recall that, before I abruptly turned around, he smiled back. It hadn't quite met his eyes but it was a welcome expression from the previously stony one from the last time I had seen him.