Leaving Him Behind

**WARNING: If you have not read Nightwing: Heroes, this book stems off of the final chapter and this first chapter may make little sense to you.**

Chapter 1

Tears filled Artemis' eyes as she collapsed onto the steps outside of Wayne Manor. Nightwing was one of the few people she trusted with her life. Out of the entire Young Justice team, until it was disbanded that is, him and Wally were the only ones ever there for her.

She shook her head, wiping her soaked eyes. This isn't the first time you've had to figure things out away from him, Artemis she thought to herself. Just before Wally...two weeks before the incident he had to too. Though to be fair he has no idea about your embarrassing crush on him. And you WERE dating Wally... Her conscious trailed off, the thought lost in the whirlwind of emotions that enveloped her. She was always so hard on herself, and she knew she was too, but couldn't help it. It was in her nature.

Finally after what seemed like far too long, Artemis grabbed her suitcase, her backpack, and began her trek down the sidewalk, hoping a cab would drive by soon so she could be taken to a motel or something. Back home wasn't an option. She couldn't stand to be near her family, especially in her current state. She was just hoping and praying that her father, or as he prefers 'Sportsmaster' didn't find her now that she was on her own.

Eventually a yellow cab drove by, and she had to chase it down, struggling as she pulled along the suitcase and her bag. Eventually the oblivious and distracted driver noticed her in his rearview mirror and stopped, Artemis thankfully getting in and requesting that he take her to the nearest motel. He nodded understandingly, and slowly drove off, making sure to stop at the closest one he knew of.

Artemis reached for her pocket to pull out some cash, but the man held up his hand, shaking his head. "No, no payment Miss." She looked at him, shocked yet happy. What she didn't know was the instant she slipped into the backseat of his cab, he had noticed the tear stains on her cheeks, and knew she was distraught. "Wow...thank you," she said as she slid out of the vehicle, flashing a weak smile at him.

He waved her a goodbye as she ran inside to rent a room, for how long, she didn't know. The small office was musty, with a few cracks scattered amongst the walls and the ceiling. The place wasn't the best kept, and there were only two cars in the parking lot so it was obvious the business wasn't doing well, but that was good. This way she knew it wouldn't cost much, and she had so little money.

When she was younger, she resorted to stealing to get food, clothes, and almost everything she needed- just like how she was taught by her family. Her father, Sportsmaster, was a crime lord, illegally smuggling and selling an array of weapons to get his riches. Her mother, before she was crippled, was known as the villainous 'Huntress'. Even her sister was a criminal. Her entire childhood revolved around illegal activities and desperate acts. Until The Arrow took her in, that's all she had known. Then the Young Justice, and then Dick and Robin. They had treated her like family, and she began to feel loved, TRULY loved.

Artemis felt her eyes dampening again as she replayed her past in her head. "May I help you?" A soft voice spoke out suddenly, breaking her from her trance and bringing her back to reality. Artemis turned towards the ancient desk where a small, elderly lady stood behind. She smiled at her, kindly accepting her presence. "Yes, actually, I'd like a room please." The elderly lady kindly smiled at her, nodding her head and turning around sifting through papers and keys. "And how long will you be staying with us?" She asked quietly. Artemis had no idea. Just until her head was clear. Until she felt she COULD go back. "Um...I'm not sure...is it okay if I just stay here until...until I find somewhere else?" The small woman turned around, her lips parted slightly in surprise. Then she sighed, "Of course that's fine, dear. We don't get many customers here anyways, so we have the rooms available."

Artemis bit her bottom lip, "I only have eighty-two dollars." She stared nervously at who she presumed was the owner as they pondered on what she said. Another sigh, and the small woman held out her hand, "That will do."

Artemis smiled gratefully as she pulled the dollar bills out of her pocket and handed them to the woman who was waiting patiently. "I can't thank you enough," Artemis said. The lady held out a room key in response. "You'll be in room eight," she said, smiling softly.

Artemis took the key and found her room, hurrying inside as the sky darkened, turning into night. Now what to do, Artemis? She thought. You'd usually be spending time with Dick or your friends right now. Too bad you dropped out of Gotham Academy...maybe they'd accept you back in? No. Mr.Queen paid a fortune for your enrollment and you threw it away, your re-enrollment wouldn't be worth it if it's running the risk of you leaving again. "Great," she scoffed, "now you're arguing with your own conscious." Then suddenly she fell back onto the bed, her vision darkening as she slipped into unconsciousness.

**So what did you guys think of the first chapter?? Let me know by voting and leaving your thoughts in a comment!**