Chapter One: Late Mornings and Bird Attacks

"Mallory." My twin sister's voice floated through the air. "Wake up. You slept through the alarm."

I groaned, pulling the pillow over my head. "No." My voice was still laced with sleep. "I don't want to." I didn't want to go to school. Not because I didn't like it. But because of the looks I was going to get. You know, the looks that say "I'm going to tell you I'm sorry, and I understand your pain, but I'm not really going to mean it." I'd been getting those looks ever since my parents had crashed off of Wickery Bridge back in May.

"Come on, Mal." I felt Elena poke my leg. "You're seventeen. Not five."

"Shut up, Elena." I muttered into the pillow. I heard her chuckle.

"Come on. I haven't gotten Jeremy up yet, so the bathroom is open." She coaxed me.

"Fine." I agreed hesitantly, pulling the pillow off of my face. I instantly shielded my eyes. "Just... turn the light off."

"Nope." She said before walking out of the room.

Sighing loudly, I swung my legs over the side of bed. So today was the first day of school. I couldn't mope around anymore. It had been only a few months since my parents had died, and I still wasn't completely over it. But I wasn't going to cry. I had to be strong. That's what my parents would want. I wasn't going through it alone, I had my sister Elena and my brother Jeremy. We never really talked about it, though. I know it affected them as much as it affected me, and they would want me to be strong also. I was done moping, today was the first day of school, time to start fresh. A new day.

I knew Elena was probably about to get Jer up, so I walked towards the bathroom.

•••

After a warm shower, I retreated to my room to curl my hair and do my makeup. I'd wanted to do that in the bathroom, but Jeremy's incessant pounding on the door made that absolutely impossible. So here I was, looking myself over in the mirror. I never really was a perfectionest, but I'd done the best I possibly could. It was my first day of my junior year. I wasn't going to let anything drag me down. Not today. Sure, my parents had died over the summer, but I wasn't going to be drug down by it anymore. I'd had time to grieve. Now was my time to prove I was truly okay.

"Mallory Rose Gilbert, if you don't hurry up-" Elena's voice cut through the silence.

"Elena Marie Gilbert, if you don't be quiet-" I interrupted her, smiling at my reflection in the mirror. Making sure that everything looked okay, I stepped out of the room. Elena was waiting for me outside the door.

We walked downstairs, where our Aunt Jenna was waiting. After our parents had died, she'd taken us in. We were all still adapting to the foreign situation. We'd been here for three months, but it still felt weird.

As we walked into the kitchen, Jenna looked up at us. "Toast. I can make toast." She had obviously been in a rush, trying to get everything ready. Not only did we have school, but she had a meeting with some important person.

"It's all about the coffee, Aunt Jenna." Elena sighed, moving over to pour herself some.

"Is there coffee?" I heard Jeremy's voice enter the room.

"Get me some too." I instructed Elena. With a sigh, she got another cup down and poured me some. Then, she handed me the cup. I gave her a grateful smile.

"It's your first day of school and I'm completely unprepared." Jenna rambled. "Lunch money?" She pulled out $30.

"I'm good." Elena told her. I gave her a look that showed the same thing. Jeremy reached out and took all of the money. I rolled my eyes at his selfishness. Sure, Mom and Dad had died, but he didn't have to be a complete jerk.

"Anything else?" Jenna questioned. "A number two pencil?" She attempted weakly. "What am I missing?"

"Don't you have a big presentation today?" I questioned.

"I'm meeting with my thesis advisor at-" She broke off to check her watch. "Now. Crap!"

"Then go. We'll be fine." Elena assured her. Jenna nodded and walked off. I turned my attention towards Jeremy.

"You okay?" I asked him, crossing my arms.

"Don't start." He spat and walked out. I threw my hands up in self defense and looked at my twin sister. She shrugged.

My phone chimed and I checked it. It was from Bonnie.

I'm outside.

It read. "Bon's here." I told Elena.

She nodded and started towards the door. I didn't follow instantly. When she was out the door. I sighed.

"Jeremy, get a ride to school! We're going with Bonnie!" I yelled up the stairs. There wasn't a reply. "Okay..." I said quietly, walking out the door where my ride to school was.

•••

Bonnie was in the front, talking to Elena about being psychic. I wasn't really listening. I was focusing more on the town that was flashing by. I had lived here ever since I could remember, which was since I was a baby. My family, the Gilberts, were part of the founding families. Our lineage had been here since the town began. So had most of the kids in our schools.

Suddenly, Bonnie drove past the cemetery that my parents were buried in. I forced myself to look away, zoning back in to what Bonnie was saying. I was going to be happy today. Thinking back to my parents death wouldn't help that. I had promised myself I wouldn't be sad today. I would be the Mallory I was before Mom and Dad died. I'd be happy, I'd go to parties, and I'd surely stay the hell away from Tyler Lockwood.

Sure, he and I hadn't officially dated, but we'd had a few drunken one night stands. But that didn't mean shit to me. And hopefully, he felt the same.

Honestly, Tyler Lockwood was a complete asshole, who deserved everything he got.

Getting lost in my thoughts, I hardly noticed something hit Bonnie's windshield.

I heard myself scream as the car screeched to a stop.

"What was that?" Bonnie asked. "Oh my God."

Bonnie turned around toward me. Her eyes were full of concern

"Mallory, are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I said.

"It was like a bird, it came out of nowhere." She stated.

My usual sarcasm took over. "No Bonnie, it came out of Elena's nose."

She rolled her eyes and focused her attention on Elena. She stretched out her hand and rested it on my sisters shoulder.

"Elena, are you okay?" Bonnie asked.

I heard Elena exhale. "It's okay. I'm fine. I just...can't be afraid of cars for the rest of my life."

As much as I hated to admit, but my sister was right. After the accident, we both had been very cautious with the actions around us, especially in cars. But we had to move on, today was a new day.

Bonnie nodded and leaned back in her seat. She gave us both a look of confidence. "I predict that this year is going to be kick-ass. I also predict that all sad and dark times are over and you two are going to be beyond happy."

"Kick-ass." I said.

She smiled. "Kick-ass."