Chapter 4

I called Niall once I arrived at the restaurant and saw that the parking lot was nearly full. I was dreading that a bunch of fans had found out where he was.

“Hey, what’s up?” Niall’s Irish accent spoke through the speaker.

“Hey are you already at the restaurant?” I wondered, exiting my car. I walked from the back of the parking lot to the front doors, zipping my jacket up higher when the cool wind blew against me.

“Yeah, I got a table, just say that you’re McKenzie to the hostess and she’ll bring you to where I’m sitting,” Niall explained.

I opened the door and nodded to myself, “I’ll be there in like ten seconds.”

Niall chuckled, “Alright, see you soon.”

I hung up and walked up to where the hostess was standing with a cheery smile on her face. She had pin straight black hair and looked to be a bit Oriental, but not full. Having a job that was semi-similar to hers, I knew to smile back at her.

“Hi, I’m McKenzie,” I told her. It sounded somewhat like a question because I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to include my last name or not.

“What you are is lucky,” the hostess whose nametag read, ‘Nicole’ smirked.

I giggled and rolled my eyes, “Yeah, I guess so.”

She chuckled along with me and led me to where Niall was sitting. The smile he gave me when he saw me made me blush as I smiled back at him. Oh God McKenzie, get yourself together.

“You waitress will be over soon,” Nicole smiled, setting down a menu for me before leaving the table.

I smiled and looked across the table at Niall, who shared the same awkward smile that was plastered across my face.

“So this is awkward,” I spoke, getting a chuckle out of Niall.

He was about to speak before a young teenage girl walked over to our table and asked to take a picture with him.

“Yeah, of course,” he answered almost immediately.

“I’ll take the picture,” I offered, seeing that there was nobody else with the girl.

Niall looked a bit surprised but gave me a smile before wrapping his arm around the girl’s shoulders. I gave the two a countdown and snapped the picture, smiling at the result. The girl looked absolutely star-struck and Niall looked genuinely happy to be taking a picture with her.

“Thank you so much,” the girl said with a wide smile, giving Niall another hug before dashing back to her table.

I smiled, “That was cute.”

Niall smiled back at me and glanced down at the menu, “It was very sweet of you to take the picture. You didn’t have to.”

“It wasn’t a big deal,” I replied, glancing down at the menu myself.

Pizza: the food that no human looked decent eating. Of course I would agree with Niall when he offered splitting a pizza.

“This is really good,” Niall commented after swallowing his mouthful of food.

I nodded with a small smile as my own mouth was full of the Italian meal. I somehow earned a laugh out of Niall by doing that.

“So what fun things are there to do in Arizona?” Niall wondered, taking a swig of his water.

“Nothing,” I replied with a giggle. “Sometimes a concert comes through, but other than that, I personally don’t like much here.”

I received a shrug from Niall before he looked up at me with a smirk. I furrowed my eyebrows.