Memory Lane

Celia had lost the ability to track time effectively. She had always intended to go back and find it but she never had the time for it. So as she sat in claustrophobic isolation room, unaware of the days or minutes.

To keep herself company she had bitten her finger and smeared a face onto the wall. Celia had drawn faces in all the isolation rooms, but whoever was in here last must have had something underneath their nails because they scratched her face off the wall and left a couple of their nails behind, which she used to make eyes. She hoped they got whatever was stuck underneath them out.

“I wonder what the pawn doing?” Celia said to her face. The face stared pensively back. “You are too I see.” She stared at her red faced companion. “You’ve got some blood on your face,” she informed it. “The pawn had blood all over her. Do you know if she’s okay?”

“She is probably be dead,” the face said.

“No,” Celia denied. “She can’t be dead. Roger would have told me.”

“Roger is the spawn of evil and a liar,” the face spat.

“He’s never lied to me before,” Celia said in his defence.

“How would you know? You can’t even lie much spot a lie.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” Celia said.

“The pawn’s death is your fault,” it accused.

“The pawn isn’t dead.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Neither do you,” Celia countered.

“Her injuries are still your fault. If she is alive then she is probably writhing in agony because of you.”

“I didn’t mean for it to happen.” She had seen the fissures in the glass and had wanted to watch them grow.

“If you didn’t kill her this time then you’re going to kill later.”

“No I won’t. I don’t want her to die.”

“Of course you don’t, but you will all the same. This time it was window glass but what will it be next time? Will you take her outside and let her freeze just to see the snow? Will you kiss her in front of Roger and let him torture her until her body reaches it’s breaking point and snaps?”

“No, I’ll protect her.” The face laughed.

“You can’t protect anyone,” it mocked. “You’re a sad little girl in your sad little world.”

“The pawn is my friend.”

“Friends? You? You don’t deserve friends. She only interacts with you because she is Roger’s pet whore who spies on you.”

“Don’t call her that,” Celia snapped. The pawn was a nice person. She was interesting, intelligent, and willing to spend time with Celia even though she wasn’t all there at times. The pawn was Celia’s only friend; her only human one that was.

“She doesn't enjoy your time together. She doesn't even like you. I bet she finds you revolting just like all the others.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“The pawn isn’t like you.”

“Yes, she is. She said I was right when I asked.”

“You probably misunderstood. You thought the girl with curls was like you and you were wrong there too.”

“This is different.” Celia had kissed the pawn and the pawn hadn’t...