CHAPTER ONE: DAFFODIL

❀ ❀ ❀

The daffodil flower is known for its symbolism of new beginnings and rebirth.

❀ ❀ ❀

"Wait -what?!" I practically shriek, my jaw almost hitting the floor as I stand in shock.

She can't be serious! A voice in my head screams and I stare down at my mother as she leisurely reclines at the dining room table, gripping onto a bottle of wine like it's her life line as she pure herself another heavy glass.

"You heard me," my mother groans and rubs her temples, most likely annoyed by my shrill exclamation. "I need you to help your Grandmother out with our New York branch. She's not as young as she used to be you know, and after your Grandfather's passing, she's had to take care of everything on her own." She explains in a bored tone as she twirls her wine glass, her eyes following the deep red liquor.

My mother has never been very motherly, but this was a new low even for her. I mean, she wants to ship me across the country to work at my Grandmother's Florist shop, half way through my senior year none the less!

I blink rapidly in disbelief. "I understand that Grandmother needs help, but why does it have to be me? Can't we just hire some part time help of something?" Sending me to help seems to be a bit extreme when we can hire someone else for half the trouble.

My mother shrugs, her eyes glaring up at me. "Your father thinks it would be good for you to grow closer to your Grandmother while also learning about the family business."

My Grandmother in question- is my dad's mom, the original entrepreneur for our family business, Sunshine's Flowers. She started my family's very first flower shop in New York, which then snow balled into my dad's own florist empire.

"Besides, you'll only be there until college -which me and your father are paying for, I might add. So, don't get so worked up." Her voice is cold as she hangs an ultimatum over my head.

She always loves to use money to get me to bend over at her every whim.

"But I already know about flowers! I've worked in the shop in Venice for the past two summers!" I'm seconds away from ripping my hair out, as I watch my mother completely ignore me and my reasoning.

"Enough, Beatrice! I don't have time to argue with a child, you're going and that's final!" She huffs, swiftly standing up from the dining room table, only to disappear into her room without another word.

I feel pin prinks in my eyes and collapse onto the wooden table, with my face pressed down against the hard wood.

I'd saved up some of my own money from my summer job, but it's not even enough to secure a living space for college, which meant I have to do whatever she says. Despite how much I'd rather dig my eyes out with rusty spoons, this is my life, being the obedient daughter.

I swear, they should have just gotten a dog instead of having me. It would have saved everyone a hell of a lot of trouble.

I squeeze my eyes closed, willing the tears not to form. I refuse to let myself cry over something so stupid.

There's not real need for me to get emotional about all of this, I mean it's not even like I have anything tying me here. As sad as it sounds, I have no friends, no boyfriend, nothing. The only real friend I have is Sawyer, a girl I met on the internet, despite all the 90's after school specials I've watched about not talking to strangers on the internet because they're all 60-year-old pedophiles.