Lonely & Unlonely

Jossy pushed open the door of her house and slowly stepped in. She found her mother in the kitchen, cleaning the cupboards.

"Welcome home, darling!" Jossy's mother reached out her hand and hugged Jossy.

"Thanks." she replied.

"What's wrong. You don't look very... happy."

"Nah, I'm fine. It's just, something weird happened at school." Jossy started telling her mother what had happened to her at school. Her mother slowly put down what she was doing and lead Jossy to a table. They sat down.

"So the time has finally come." the woman sighed.

"What? What are you talking about?" Jossy was very confused.

"So you said you saw a kitten at the back of the school and only you could see it and nobody else could, right?"

"Yeah..."

"The truth is, the kitten was actually the ghost of a kitten. And only our family can see animal ghosts. Your great, great, grandmother first discovered this. She was very surprised and frightened, but she soon got used to it. The ghosts won't do you any harm, they will just continue on doing what they were doing when they were alive." Jossy was listening attentively. She was actually interested.

"O...K..." Jossy replied, unsure what to say. "So, what do I do now?"

"Don't worry, nothing is going to happen even if you can see ghosts. Just stay calm and don't pay attention to them."

"So everything is going to be just fine, right?"

"Right..." Jossy mother smiled, but inside, she was feeling uneasy.

The next day, when Jossy wandered into class, she could hear people gossiping about her.

"Oh look, its her." "That's her" "Is she okay?" "Doesn't she need to go to the doctor's?" Jossy turned red, full of embarrassment and sadness. She turned around and sprinted out of the classroom, just as Pipa walked in.

"Jossy, where are you going? Jossy!?" Pipa shouted but Jossy didn't reply. She just kept on running. 

Hiding behind the large, green bushes was Jossy. She was crying softly, hoping no one would hear her. Little droplets of crystal tears tumbled down her face. She was more than upset, she felt depressed and lonely. Jossy continued on mourning until she was startled by the same grey ghost kitten she had seen yesterday. It pounced around her, meowing, as if asking 'what's wrong?'

"Hello there, friend." Jossy remarked. It was the first time she saw the friendly feline up close. It was fascinating. She reached her hand out to pat it, and this time, it worked. Astonished, Jossy moved her hand up and down its fur. The kitten playfully jumped into her lap. Jossy spotted a blue, bouncy ball in the distance and went to obtain it. Soon, the two were having more fun than they expected.

"I'm having so much fun! Haha!" Jossy laughed. The kitten meowed. "I'm gonna give you a name. You're going to be called Hipo from now on." It was getting late and they were losing track of the time. "It's time for me to go home now." Jossy waved goodbye as Hipo just stood there, swaying its tail. 'Ding, ding' went the bell as she left the school, without attending any of the classes.