Chapter 1

"Time to get up ladies!" Guard Paul yelled at us. Bright lights flashed on and I sat up from my bed. I was recently moved to the Able to Breed house. I used to be in the Children house with all the other girls who weren't ready to breed yet. It looked the same, just with woman from ages 14- 45 or so. They weren't pregnant yet, just waiting. When you were you got your own room with a more comfortable bed and alone, with their own shower. They could stay in there until they give birth to a boy or raise a girl until age three, then she goes to the Children house.

I looked around the room, which looked endless. There were at least 100 women there, all were sleeping on bunk beds lined up against the wall. The floors were white tiled, white walls, bright white lights above, like the rest of the Complex. We all wore white shirts and pants, white slip on shoes. This day I was going to decide between two men who wished to breed with me for my first breeding. It was rare to have two men so close to decide to both breed with me, and rules dictate I decide which I choose to harbor their young by a meeting.

All the woman were jealous of me, that I got two. I had seen pictures of the men, everyone has and they were fine looking men. All the girls were jealous the 14 year old newbie gets to have this honor of choosing. I mean, people have said I was the prettier of the girls. I had a small stature but stable, wide hazel eyes, pure white skin, and wavy black hair. Still all were jealous and looked at me with such envy even the males don't get that look from the women.

We went into the shower room, all together, and went into the cafeteria to eat breakfast. I sat with my mother Rotunda and her mother Anabelle. My mother had me as one of her firsts, only at 16. My grandmother was just getting at the age were she was going to be with the Old Women house, though we would still she her thankfully.

"Morning Bruno," Rotunda said politely, eating her strawberries. I didn't look much like her, I had her height, that was mostly it. I had asked about my father before, she never even said his name, she said she didn't remember. I mean, we know the names of the father an occupation before the breeding. Most even with ten kids remember all the fathers, I think she likes to keep it from me. All the other children would look at me differently, the guards look at me differently than the others. They treat me nicer, don't give me as hard of a time when I cry or am tired.

"Morning Mother, how was sleep?" I asked, biting into a spoonful of orange pulp.

"Fine, how was yours Mother?"

My grandmother smiled, "Oh just fine dear. I had the most amazing dream! I dreamed of about what it was like when my great-grandmother told me of what it was like when she was a kid! Men and woman working side by side! I dreamed of being a nurse of all things, and you Bruno was a singer like Kenny Mambo! It was amazing!" She was always telling the wild tales her great-grandmother told of her from long before, before the system.

Mother laughed, "Oh how I wish that was true! Bruno is a lovely singer but the day that happens I'll be the head of the Complex."

I rolled my eyes at the two old women, them and their imaginations. Guard Sage tapped my shoulder, "Bruno, it's time for your first meeting," He said, taking my tray from me. I nodded my head and waved goodbye at the smiling women and went into meeting room A. There sat one end of the table was a man I already saw his file on. Peters McGirltine. Lawyer (whatever that was), father of two boys already, perfect student., late 40's.

I shook hands with Peters, "Hello it's nice to meet you, I'm Bruno. I would like to say it's an honor for you to pick me out of all the women in the Complex sir," I sat down across from him, Guard Sage came in and stood behind me, peering at Peters.

Peters also sat down, "Well I'm glad, you seemed like a great woman for the job. Well structured, family all from good breeding, I thought I should give a newbie a shot. From your record it says you are very intelligent and quick thinking, I need that in a son," His dark grey eyes peered over me and my body, judging.

I nodded my head, "Yes well I've seen pictures of your sons, they are quite handsome. Lets see, one that is just now 18 and the other my age. Why now do you choose to have another at such an age?"

"Well, my birdies are leaving the nest and I just wanted one more!" He boomed, smiling.

"Yes, and they are both from the same mother. Why didn't you choose her for the third?"

"Well, she recently had died during pregnancy, very rare but thank the lord it wasn't my children," He held his hands up. I had no idea who this 'lord' was but if he was thanking him he must have been important. I didn't like Peters, he seemed too nice, too fake.

I bowed my head, "Thank you Peters I think we are through. You should get a call today, thank you for your time," I kept my head bowed as he left the room. Sage led him out then Sage sat in the chair Peters once sat in.

"He seemed to be a real fake," Sage said, picking at his nails. I loved Sage. He was a young black man, slender, easy to talk to. He grew to become a good friend, he told me stuff about the outside world and even taught me how to read a bit. I could read few words like 'Stop" and 'Exit', just easy stuff he taught me when no one was looking. It was illegal to have the women learn to read or write, we might get ideas apparently.

"I know, I hope the next one is better. Will you be a dear and grab the next one for me?" I asked. Sage stood up and took my hand.

"Anything for you babe," He said, letting go of my hand as he left the room. He never had kids, he said he was never going to have any. He said he refused about this system, the system of women locked up. When I was little he would sneak me off, saying it was official business but he would read me books from the Before, when all were equal. He was the best.

A think man came in, Asian from what I believe, whatever that term originates from I have no clue. All I knew he had dark hair and slender eyes like from the others I've herd been called that term. He was young, no kids yet, better looking than Peters, doctor, "Hello there Sam Smithers," I said, shaking the nervous man's hand.

"Hello there Bruno, it is an honor to meet you," He sat down in the chair across from me, his shirt untucked and him sweating like newbies I've seen walking the halls before.

"So why did you pick me of all women?"

"Well they showed me a file and you had a great record. Good breeding, quick, intelligent. I thought you would be a good choice," his voice cracked slightly on his last word. 

I leaned in closer to him, "You don't have to be nervous, I'm going to choose you, I can tell already. The other one was a real faker and you seem to have good breeding, I know your mother, sweet lady. Friend of my grand-mother's now I just want to say I choose you, now stop sweating like a pig!" I laughed at my crude humor, it seemed to make him nervous.

We exchanged goodbyes  and he left, Sage with a hint of a smile on his face, "Go back with the girls you boy!" He laughed, pulling me out of the meeting room.