Rapid knocks (short story)

The moon was shining through my bathroom window. I had gotten up to close the curtains. As I shut the curtains I heard rapid knocks on the door, but they weren't just any knocks. It was as if somebody was pounding on the door about to break it down, but the thing was the knocks were extremely quiet. I could barely hear them, but I could feel the vibrations. As I was going down the stairs the knocks got louder and louder. I had finally reached the last step. Once I touched the floor immediately the loud rapid knocks got extremely quiet again. When I opened the door I was in complete shock and fear of what I saw, but again that was the thing I didn't see anything. At first I just stood there in shock. That night I couldn't go sleep. I was thinking of how there was nobody at the door, how I couldn't hear any footsteps running away, how I couldn't see anyone turning around the corner. The next morning I went straight to my boyfriends house and told him everything. I wasn't surprised when he laughed at me. I don't blame him I would have laughed at myself too. That night again I heard the rapid knocks I was too scared to go down stairs. I thought I could sleep it out, but every time I closed my eyes the knocks just got louder and louder. I finally decided to go down stairs and open the door. When I opened the door again there was nobody there, I couldn't hear any footsteps running away, no one turning around the corner. Nothing. The same thing just kept happening over and over again like a constant loop. One night the knocks went on for about half an hour and then they stopped. I thought maybe that was the end of it but it wasn't. When the knocks stopped I heard the door open and then shut. At that moment I couldn't speak. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. And you would think after all the experiences that I've had with these knocks I would learn not go and check what it was. I walked down the hallway and turned my head to the steps and saw nothing but I could still hear footsteps. All of sudden I could hear footsteps and knocks coming from every direction and they weren't going away. All the doors flew open. All I remember is getting pulled into the room behind me. The rest was a blur. It ended up all being a dream ... OR was it!!!. (Knocks at the door)