Part 8

The protocol for prisoner release on Externo was very specific. As the full wake cycle was put into effect for each prisoner, the spoke above the stasis containers would be opened to the central airlocks, which was divided into two segments: the "prisoner" airlock, which docked with the landing module, and the "main" airlock, which opened to the vacuum of space. The captives could only access the prisoner airlock, in order to board the landing module, which would take them to the surface of Externo. This ensured that the prisoners always remained separate and no contamination could occur. However, it also meant that if Sam wanted to maintain quarantine with Dave, and keep him locked off from the rest of the ship, they had to start their EVA from the central airlocks... and spacewalk across the spokes to PC2's hull.

As she approached the door to the prisoner airlock, where Dave was suiting up, Sam wondered whether all of the extra precaution was really necessary. Then again, her new data might be wrong. Minimal contact was still preferable, despite the irony that her life would literally be placed in Dave's hands in a few moments.

Sam pushed aside the thought as she prepared to open the door between airlocks.

"Vox?" she called out.

"Yes, Commander?"

"If this doesn't work, and the reactor is further compromised... what's the protocol for purging it?"

Vox paused, clearly working through the failsafe information as Sam had done. Much like fixing PC2's hull, tampering with the reactor to avoid self-destruct was engineered to be impossible, since it was a two-person job. One person was needed inside the compartment to release the reactor manually, while a second person was needed outside the compartment to open the hatch—in that order. Even if Sam would risk such a task with the aid of a prisoner, it was believed that she could not wake one from stasis without triggering self-destruct. And yet... once Dave had "died," all of the rules had changed.

"Dave would need your ID code to authorize manual release, while you opened the loading hatch from the outside. But I do not recommend it, Commander," said Vox.

"Even in the event of a radiation leak? Or critical meltdown?"

"Correct. Purging the reactor will result in a slow death from power loss. A quick death is preferable."

Sam considered that answer for a moment. Of course, there was sound logic behind it, but what the hell did Vox know about which death was "preferable?" She needed analysis on ways not to die. Then, she got a new idea.

"Vox, transfer as much power as you can from the reactor and store it in the PC1 converters while we're on the walk," she instructed.

"Commander?" asked Vox, skeptically. "That could overload the new converters."

"I know, so do it carefully. And please calculate how much oxygen Dave has," said Sam, changing subjects.

"He has enough for a three-hour spacewalk," answered Vox.

"Okay. If he returns without me—for any reason—seal both airlocks and shut down all systems. I don't want to take any chances. And I want him to know..." she trailed off.

"Know what?"

"Nothing, just keep an eye out and do what I said."

"I will monitor all ship's systems and begin the power transfer, if that is what you mean."

"It is, thank you, Vox."

Sam braced herself and opened the door to the prisoner airlock. She half expected Dave to attack, to rush past her and disappear into the bowels of the ship. But he merely floated towards her, waiting patiently.

"Having second thoughts?" he asked.

"I'd be stupid not to," said Sam. Dave smiled.

"I admire your directness."

"Good. Then let's get on with it."

Sam opened the main airlock hatch, exposing them to empty space. Making sure her tether and tools were firmly attached to her belt, she lead the way across the outer hull, grasping for handholds and clipping herself to the next anchoring hook on the ship, like a rock climber. Dave followed close behind. If he had any fear or questions on how to maneuver outside the ship in zero-G, he did not voice them. It was almost as though he were an expert, at least, here at the center of the ship. Sam gave instructions over the radio anyway, if only to reassure herself of the plan.

"We're going to climb directly across this spoke. As we approach the outer wheel of compartments, we'll feel close to a G of gravity. Try to stay on the inside of the wheel as much as possible, it will help press us to the hull—rather than fling us outward."

"This doesn't sound like much fun," said Dave.

"No, it's not," said Sam. "So pay attention to your anchoring hooks, in case you slip. You don't want to get caught up in these spokes." Out of the corner of her visor, she saw Dave glance out at the wheel in the distance with a tense look. Watching it spin around the center while clinging to a spoke gave one an eerie sense of vertigo. Sam smiled; satisfied to see his nerves. "Keep your eyes close to what's in front of you," she said. "We don't have time for you to vomit out here."

"Sound advice, Commander."

They continued to hook and climb across the spoke, taking the walk extremely slow, anchor by anchor. At last, they approached the outer wheel of compartments, feeling a strong tug of gravity. Sam shifted their position to the innermost side of the wheel, so the centrifuge motion pushed them onto the hull and required less effort to stay stable.

"That's PC2 just below us, with a loading hatch on the inside. See it?" asked Sam, pointing to the compartment below their spoke with a small hatch. Dave nodded. "I'm going to open the loading hatch so you can squeeze through. Once inside, you'll pay out my tether as I seal up the hull breaches along the compartment. When I'm done, we'll test the pressure and then you'll pull me in. Got it?"

"Got it," said Dave, nodding again.

"Stay by the hatch and don't touch any of the equipment until I say so. You don't want to risk radiation or electrocution, right?"

"Right," he said, looking tense again. He was probably regretting his decision to help at this point, but it was too late to back out now. Covering the control panel as best she could so Dave couldn't see her code, Sam entered her ID and opened the loading hatch. It swung open softly, as the hull breach had already equalized the compartment's pressure to a vacuum. Dave dove inside and turned himself around to face Sam. She handed her tether to him with a serious look.

"As you noticed, there are no anchoring hooks past this point and some of the damage is on the outer wheel. It will be hard to hang on while welding the breaches shut..." she said heavily. Dave returned her gaze, understanding.

"I won't let go."

Sam gave a curt nod... and released her grip from the hatch.