Prologue

Violet Kai's POV
Smiling, I picked up a pretty pink carnation and smelled it. I love flowers!

"Excuse me? How much for this flower?" The kind lady smiled at me.

"Only 2 dollars for you, dear. " I handed her the money before thanking her and walking out the store.

What a beautiful day. The sun is shining high, kids are playing in the parks, and laughter could be heard from all around.

Faintly, I heard an ice cream truck and started to look around for it. When I saw it, I walked towards it.

"Mmmmm. Can I get cookie dough ice cream in a cone?" Mr. Ice cream man nodded and scooped some into a cone before handing it to me.

"5 bucks. " I dig in my pocket for my wallet. Oh no! I forgot that I paid for the flowers. Now I don't have enough for ice cream.

"Mr? You look like a really nice dude. " his eyes narrowed at me.

"5 bucks. " he repeated, his eyes still narrowing.

"How about 3?" I bargained.
"No. " Dang it. Time to use my persuasion skills.
"But Mr. it's my birthday today. Don't ice cream people give discounts to celebrants?" I said, pulling a puppy dog face.

"Sorry. Business is business." I sighed sadly. Maybe my puppy dog face wasn't puppylike enough. I have to work on that as soon as I get back to the orphanage.

I walked back and was greeted by Ms. Helena throwing my stuff out. I ran in panic.

"Ms. Helena! What are you doing?!" She gave me a sinister smile.

"Throwing you out. " she answered simply.

"What? Why? Ms. Helena please stop!" I begged, tears welling up in my eyes.

"You're 18 now, Violet. You are no longer a minor, thus, you are not my problem anymore. " she said as she threw the last of my things out before shutting the door in my face.

Crying, I gathered my things and began to wander around the streets. The sun was setting now and everything good that was happening earlier today was gone.

There was no sun. There were no more kids playing. The laughter now turned into silence.

I have no where else to go.

Suddenly I jumped when I heard thunder crackling followed by a flash of lightning. Before I knew it, the rain had come and I became soaking wet.

Shivering, I sat on an empty bench as I felt the rain continue to wet me.

What am I going to do? I have no money. No family. No friends. Now, I have no home.

Picking up my carnation, I smelled it once again. At least my carnation still smells good.

In the corner of my eye, I saw shadows approaching my direction. I gulped nervously.

Is this the part where I die?

To my surprise, a warm jacket was draped around me and an umbrella put above me.

One of the three men crouched down and I let out a gasp.

"Are you alright?"