Chapter One: Day One

Day One

The three famous boys arrive at their viewing building at six o’clock the next morning, exhausted and not ready for the day to start this early in the morning. They know they’re in some luck as these first few weeks are “viewing” weeks, just to observe Alyssa. As the weeks pass they’re going to start becoming “doing” weeks, where they have to do everything she does, just in a different form. When they knock on the door, Jackson opens it from the inside.

“She’s already awake,” Jackson informs. “But you didn’t miss anything. She’s just lying in bed still… on her phone or something.” Jackson then moves aside and allowed the boys to enter, yawning tiredly as they go. Jacob, Nick, and Carter settle themselves into chairs facing a large television. “The cameras are set to adjust so we can see her continuously unless she’s somewhere that would be invasive, such as the bathroom,” Jackson says before yawning.

Jacob focuses his eyes on the screen before him, and he sees a teenage girl lying in bed, her eyes barely open as she scrolls through her Twitter feed on her phone. The room is dark except for the glow of the cell phone she holds in her hands. She doesn’t move for a few minutes, giving him time to study her. She has brown hair, long and wavy. It’s a mess from sleeping the night before, but Jacob can tell that when it is brushed it must be pretty. Her tired eyes are brown, with specks of gold highlighting their beauty.

“Jake!” Nick says in a persistent tone.

“What?” Jacob asks, tearing his eyes from the screen before him.

“Oh, look, Carter! He’s back to life!” Nick jokes hitting Carter on the arm. Carter chuckles at his joke, but is obviously too tired to participate in Nick’s taunting. “You were a little caught up in Alyssa, huh?” Nick continues. “I was just going to ask you if you wanted any coffee.”

“I want coffee!” Carter calls immediately. “I need it!”

Jacob and Nick chuckle at his sudden alertness. “I’m good,” Jacob says.

Nick nods as he stands and goes to pour himself and Carter each a cup of coffee from the table in the corner of the room. Jacob turns his eyes back to the screen in front of him as the girl that it displays adjusts under the covers of her bed. Her eyes are still tired, but beginning to wake up, and then her phone starts vibrating in her hand. Jacob hears her groan before tossing the covers off of her, revealing her navy blue tank top and short plaid shorts.

“She’s getting up,” Jackson announces to Nick, who turns from the table with two cups of coffee in his hand. He quickly walks back to his seat and hands a cup to Carter before focusing his eyes on the screen as well.

Alyssa grabs glasses of the nightstand beside her, stands up from her bed, and moves slowly towards the closed door opposite her bed. She opens it to reveal a hallway, and reaches over to flick on the light of her room. As she does so, the camera switches to one in the hallway, and Jacob cannot help but focus on her face. This is the first good look he’s gotten of her, as they chose the winner based on a profile not containing a picture. Her eyes are smudged with black – makeup she forgot to take off the night before – but the rest of her pale skin is flawless, not a red spot or pimple in sight.

“Whoa,” Nick states, “we got a looker.”

Jacob rolls his eyes at the bluntness of Nick’s statement, but Carter agrees with him wholeheartedly.

“A girl who’s a looker on a Monday morning at 6:10,” Carter adds, earning an affirmative sound from Nick and another eye roll from Jacob. Alyssa turns into a room and shuts the door behind her, leaving the camera focused on an empty hallway.