Chapter Two: Day Four

Day Four

            The first few days of Alyssa’s experiment went similarly. She attended school and kept the same schedule at home that she’d followed on the first day. On the fourth day, the boys arrive at 5:55 just as they had since day two. They want to be there from the moment she wakes up until the moment she goes to sleep so they could have an accurate representation. Missing a few minutes wasn’t going to cut it for Jackson.

“I don’t know how I did this when I was in school,” Carter complains as the boys arrive to the viewing building. “This is torture.”

“How does she do it? I never had this much homework,” Nick whines. “I’ve never been so in need of a nap and it’s only Thursday.”

“Only one more day until the weekend,” Jacob comforts. He won’t admit it yet, but he kind of likes watching Alyssa. Her day may be tiring, but he couldn’t help but enjoy seeing her going through her everyday life. Watching her makes him feel more normal. He isn’t the ‘famous Jacob Avalos’ that everyone knows him as when he watches her. He’s just Jacob.

“You’re peppy for six a.m.,” Nick comments, looking at Jacob.

“He has a crush on Alyssa,” Carter supplies easily. “It’s really obvious.”

“Shut up,” Jacob argues as they enter the building and settle into their seats. “I do not.”

“Whatever,” Carter shrugs. “Coffee?”

“Yes,” Jacob and Nick chorus, exhausted already although the day hasn’t begun yet.

“Jackson,” Nick calls, turning to look at the older man. “When do we start living like her?”

“On week three we start tuning into her feelings and emotions. On week seven we start staying here overnight, and begin listening to thoughts, and only seeing what she sees instead of what’s around her. On week ten we start living like her. Don’t forget to pick your subjects.”

Nick nods in response as Carter walks up with coffee for the three of them. Jacob makes a mental note to pick what he wants to study – he hasn’t decided yet. The boys all need to pick two subjects and one musical instrument to study while Alyssa is in school, to give them the full effect.

“Our official last week is week sixteen. However, it was placed this way so we may add extra time if necessary. For example, any days that we miss due to your schedules must be made up. Week sixteen was chosen for a few reasons. One, it allows us to collect an ample amount of data. Two, it is her April Vacation from school, so we will be able to see her actions over three different school vacations. There are also a few things that may cause us to view longer. Struggles in school that are atypical starting around that time, different hardships that have yet to resolve, a romantic interest...”

“What? Why that?” Nick interrupts. Jacob’s ears prick up as well, but Carter seems to be focused in his coffee.

“Well. Say she was to find a romantic interest. If they were to start dating, we would need to monitor how her daily actions change because of that interest.”

“That’s really creepy,” Jacob argues. “I don’t think that should be… something we watch for.”

“Jacob doesn’t wanna watch his crush date some other guy,” Carter says, finally tuning in fully.

“Shut up,” Jacob says. “That’s not it. It’s just weird. Like… I’d feel really violated. Maybe we will watch just for a day or two, but no more than that. Deal?”