The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

"Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries in the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He can not stand to be touched. And he detests the color yellow.

Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, for fifteen year old Christian everyday interactions and admonishments have little meaning. He lives on patterns, rules, and a diagram kept in his pocket. Then, one day, a neighbors dog, Wellington, is killed and his carefully constructive universe is threatened. Christopher sets out to solve the murder in the style of his favorite (logical) detective, Sherlock Holmes. What follows makes for a novel that is funny, poignant, and fascinating in its portrayal of a person whose curse and blessing are a mind that perceives the world entirely literally."

This does contain spoilers but I ask that you still read this.

Funny. Fascinating. These are words. But not the right words for this novel. Is it funny or fascinating to have a dog killed on the first page with a GARDEN FORK? Is it funny or fascinating to learn that your dad killed the dog and that your mom is actually not dead but instead with a different man? No. No it is not. Poignant is definitely the right word for this book. Poignant is a sense of sadness or regret. The whole book is so sad. I'm not even going to rate this book because it was that bad. Do me a favor and don't read it.