Pray

Algee

Algee

"What's this!?" I asked, looking in between the two of them.

"I need to check on Asiah," Leah whispered walking out the room leaving us alone.

Keith and I stood there,"You wanna explain what I just walked into."

"I dropped by to see if you were straight since you didn't come back into work the other day," He explained.

I shoved my hands in my pockets,"We working through some things right now tell them I had a family emergency."

"Algee how long have I known you? Your family is my family" To answer his question since diaper days "I saw the look in her eyes and I knew something wasn't right between y'all " he said with a look of concern. I ran a hand over my face,"Everything's fucked up our marriage just everything." This was beyond the marriage counsel sessions twice a week.

"Whatever she did you have to forgive her and push through for your son," Keith said. I walked him to the door thinking about what he said. It's time I take responsibility for my family and put my feelings aside.

I locked the front door going to search for Leah. I found her in her office standing by the window. Her body shook with sobs as she cried, my heart shattered. I walked up behind her pulling her into my chest holding her,"I'm so sorry baby." She wrapped her arms around me crying even harder.

"We're going to get through this you, me, and Asiah together," I told her kissing the top of her head. After a couple minutes she stopped crying and I just listened to the sound of her breathing. I closed my eyes squeezing her a little tighter hoping I'd never lose her.

"Algee we should pray," she looked up at me. I nodded,"Okay baby." We walked into the room of our son standing over his crib as he slept. I held Leah's hand as she did mine and we began to pray. Tears rolled down my face as I listened to sound of Leah's voice.

Every word that left her lips sent a chill over my body. She squeezed my hand as our prayer came to a end. We said our amens and I wrapped my arms around her. The room felt lighter and I had hope for a better future. I sighed remembering how long it's been since I've stepped into a church.

"We should visit my family in LA," It wasn't often that I saw them and it felt right. My mother always said how she wanted for us to visit. Leah looked up at me and smiled,"I could use a change in scenery." I called my mother who was happy to hear that we were visiting. We packed several over night bags for the trip back home.

I walked into the nursery where Leah was packing Asiah's clothes. He was wide awake and talking more like babbling away in his crib. I picked him up,"What's up daddy's big man." He smiled at the sound of voice chewing on his chubby little fingers. I ran my fingers through his curly black hair that looked exactly like Leah's.

"You get your curly hair from your momma," I told him kissing his cheeks making him laugh. He then tried to eat my face getting slob everywhere. I laughed I had to admit I was a completely softy when it came to my son. I began singing to him one of my favorite songs from back in the day.

'"Cause I need somebody who will stand by me
Through the good times and bad times
She will always, always be right there
Sunny days, everybody loves them
Tell me baby can you stand the rain?
Storms will come
This we know for sure
Can you stand the rain?"

He babbled louder as if he could actually sing the lyrics with me. I laughed continuing to sing to him in my arms. Leah watched with a smile on her face she walked up to us giving me a kiss. I kissed her back wrapping my free hand around her waist. I had such a beautiful family nothing could beat what I had in front of me.

The End