Chapter 7 - Tears

"He's in the O. R.," Jay answered him, looking to his friend's eyes.

"What?" 

"It's gonna be okay, Adam," Kim told him. Adam looked at her, he didn't know she was there, too.

"Kim?"

"Yes. I'm here. We all are," Kim told him and came closer to the bed. "I'm sure Will can go to the O. R., but he needs to examine you."

"My name is Adam Ruzek. My dad's name is Bob. I'm at the hospital. I work at District 21, Intelligence Unit. My first pet was-"

"Okay. I think you're okay," Will smiled at him. "I'm gonna go to the O. R. now."

"Thanks, doc," Adam answered. He sound and look really tired. 

"I think you should get some rest, kid," Hank said and stood up. All of them did.

"Wait," Adam stoped them. "Can somebody stay here, please?" 

"Yea. Sure," Al answered, sitting back to the chair. "Not going anywhere." 

"Thanks, Al," Adam mumbled.

"I really need a shower. I'll be back in one hour," Jay said.

"Get some sleep, all of you. I'll be here, anyway," Al told him. 

"I can stay here with y-" Kim started.

"It's okay," Al said, looking at Adam.

"Come on, Kim. I'll buy you coffee," Kevin told her.

*

When everyone (except for Al) left, Adam closed his eyes, trying to get some rest. But when he fell asleep, he was in that dark room again. He saw the man with gun. He watched him pull the trigger again. He woke up with scream. 

"Adam, it's okay. It's okay. It wasn't real. Hey, look at me," Al told him. "I'm right here."

"It was horrible, Al. When I saw the gun I thought I was gonna die. I thought about the people I love and about things I haven't said to them," Adam said, he turned to Al and looked to his eyes. "I love you, Al, you treat me like your own kid and I couldn't be happier to have you as my partner." 

"Love you, too, kid," Al smiled at him. "So if you scare me like this again, I'll shoot you. And you know I don't miss."

Adam laughed. And it was a bad idea. 

"Ouch," Adam said, touching his abdomen. "Does Will know anything?"

"He was there a few minutes ago. They're still working on him," Al answered. 

*

Will was waiting for Connor outside the O. R., drinking coffee and thinking about his dad. They didn't talk too much or visit each other very often, but he was his dad. He raised him.

Connor put his gloves off and took a deep breath before he left the O. R. He wasn't surprised when he saw Will.

"So?" Will asked. Connor just shook his head.

*

When Connor entered Adam's room, Al turned to him. From the look in his eyes Al knew it's bad.

"Connor?" Adam turned his head to him. "How's my dad?"

"There's no easy way how to say this. I did everyhing I could, Adam. His aorta was-"

"What?" Adam stoped him, looking to his eyes. 

"He didn't make it, Adam," Connor said. "I'm so sorry." Adam didn't answer him. He just stared at him, trying to understand what Connor just said.

*

When Jay and Erin entered Chicago Med, Will came to them.

"Before you guys go up there, you should know that Adam's father... he didn't make it," Will said.

"Damn it," Jay whispered. "How's he doing?"

"I haven't talked to him. But Connor have. This is his second patient that died today," Will answered, looking at his friend. He was standing next to the nurses' station, drinking coffee, looking at the white wall in front of him.

*

"How's he?" Jay asked Al when they enetered the room. Adam was sleeping.

"He's... dealing with it," Al answered.