Chapter One

(Hours Earlier)

A ribbon swayed.

Pink skirts twirled.

Legs pointed, graceful, curling through the air.

A window lay open, light white curtains fluttering.

A warm summer breeze.

Bare toes rise to greet the gentle caress.

Blonde hair waved merrily.

Pale eyes closed.

Lips moved, humming, softly, a sweet melody.

"Lucy?"

Limbs and mind lost in music, ears fail to hear the call.

Minutes pass.

"LUCY!"

The voice was not impressed.

The melody halted, abruptly.

Eyes opened, face cringed in shame.

"Sorry!" another voice called.

"I'll be down in a minute!"

An impatient huff rises, footsteps tap away along the hall.

A hand ran through light blonde hair, then a brush. A pink ribbon tied the golden locks up.

Bare feet are covered with brown slippers.

An apron tied hastily over a pink and white dress.

Light footsteps pattered the stairs.

Her friend waited, unimpressed, blue hair tied up with a light blue ribbon, a similar apron covering her front.

An eyebrow raised in exasperation.

"What would you do without Juvia? You'd be late for work, and be fired within the week, that's what".

Lucy rubbed the back of her head sheepishly, offering an apologetic smile. The angry scowl on Juvia's face gave way to a fond smile as she rolled her eyes and swung the door open.

"Let's go or we'll both be late".

***

"Thank you for your purchase!" Lucy called cheerily after the old lady. The old woman smiled, worn skin crinkling with mirth as she wagged wrinkled fingers in farewell. The door eased shut behind her, bell tinkling happily. Lucy hummed happily, spirits high as she leant against the wooden counter. Sunlight smiled upon the little shop, trailing along glass bottles and jars stacked in shelves, contents glowing yellow in the rays.

People passed in colourful blurs, the gentle sound of chatter slipping in to reach Lucy's ears. No one moved to enter the brightly painted red door, however, and Lucy soon planted her cheek in her palm, huffing in boredom.

"Lucy!" a voice exclaimed as a blue burr shot out of the back room. An apologetic grin painted Juvia's face, and this time it's Lucy who raised an eyebrow in exasperation. She waited, ears peeled for the inventive excuse.

"Juvia is so sorry but she left her...um...lunch at her house this morning! It is Lucy's fault, really, Juvia was in such a hurry to make sure Lucy was on time for work that she forgot her lunch!" 

Juvia planted her hands on her hips, swapping the apologetic smile for an annoyed frown as she raised her head in mock anger. An unconvinced Lucy watched amusedly, a smirk painting her lips as she heaved out an impatient sigh.

"Well I couldn't deprive you of your lunch Juvia. You better run along and get it. Don't you worry, I'll mind the shop while you're gone. I'm sure I'll manage".