Chapter Nine

e d i t e d :    1 2 - 2 2 - 2 0 1 8

➵  

"That is Cair Paravel, the castle of the four thrones." Aslan's voice interrupted my thoughts. It wasn't unpleasant, though. It was comforting in an odd way. I didn't feel so alone anymore. "In one of which you will sit, Peter, as High King."

My heart fell at his words, crushed with the weight of the world, it seemed. I lowered my head and gripped my sword a bit tighter. I was to begin training with Aras and Nik later that day.

"You doubt the prophecy?" Aslan inquired in the moments of silence that passed between us.

"No. That's just it." I shook my head and frowned deeply, turning to look at the Lion. "Aslan, I'm not who you all think I am."

"Sir Peter Pevensie, Knight of Narnia, formerly of Finchley, seventeen years of age. You feel responsible for all your siblings and believe that Edmund's betrayal was your fault. You feel strongly for my daughter, Marelle, as well." My head shot up when Aslan mentioned Marelle. I furrowed my eyebrows. How did he—

"Beaver also mentioned that you planned on turning him into a hat."

That damned rodent... I couldn't help but grin widely, averting my gaze to the ground. Aslan chuckled, which made me grin wider.

"Peter, there is a Deep Magic more powerful than any of us that rules over all of Narnia. It defines right from wrong and governs all our destinies. Yours... and mine." Aslan continued, a sullen tone in his voice toward the end.

"But I couldn't even protect my own family!" I protested.

"You've brought them safely this far." Aslan retorted calmly.

"Not all of them."

"Peter," the Lion lifted his head and I turned mine to meet his gaze. "I will do what I can to help your brother, but I need you to consider what I ask of you."

There was silence between us for a few moments and we both stared down at the army.

"I, too, want my family safe."

"Your family... they're... unlike anyone I've ever met." I said softly.

"They are, are they not?" Aslan laughed lightly.

"I wish I could be half the person Marelle is," I told him truthfully. "Or Nik, or Dwynan, or Aras."

"Why be half of them when you can be all of you?" Aslan inquired.

I sighed and sat down on the grass. "Because they're..."

"Perfect?" Aslan filled in. I nodded, staring at the patch of grass in front of me.