Chapter 6: Come Right Back To You

Author's note: I know it's been so long since I've updated, well, anything but here's a short chapter I've been working on from Hayley's perspective. The chapter title comes from a great Klaus/Hayley song called "Nitesky" by Robot Koch. I first heard it in a Klaus/Hayley video, actually, and loved it right away. If you want to check out the video by xXWhisperOfDreamsXx here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRRNaaos31E So, have a good week and let me know what you think. :-)

Chapter Six: Come Right Back To You

In the end, Hayley wasn't as convinced as Rebekah or Hope for that matter that all this "NOLA warzone" thing was what Jackson's grandmother or this so-called long-lost Mikaelson sister was saying it was. She trusted Jack and she was inclined to trust Marcel, Josh, and Cami . . . but something about this was just . . . off . . .
Ever since she'd returned to New Orleans, she'd had this feeling in the pit of her gut – the city she'd left definitely was not as she'd left it. Not that she'd left it on very good terms – the town was on the verge of being taken over by a merging of Guerrera wolves and the witches – but this, now . . .

It was off . . . and she didn't know how to explain it or handle it.

She had her little girl back – Hope was alive. Her daughter was here, in her presence where she wouldn't ever let go of her again. Even if Hayley herself was not a witch of any kind, she could still feel the magic radiating off of Hope.

From what Rebekah had told her, Hope seemed to be able to sense things or read things that the others around her couldn't. Hope hadn't shown anything but contentment since Hayley had awoken, before that even. Hope reveled in the attention from every one of the beings in that small cottage. The small girl had never met any of them and yet she was at ease with every single one of them. Hayley herself only knew a few of them. Hope seemed to trust them . . . but Hayley didn't know the limits of her daughter's powers.

She was just a child, after all.

Even now, as she watched Hope play in the corner with Freya, every instinct within her told her to pick up her daughter and run.

She felt a hand on her shoulder (though she'd heard him walk up to her even before) and turned to find Jackson sitting down on the chair beside her.
"You know if you think too much, your ears'll fall off." He smirked.

She rolled her eyes, chuckling. "Am I that obvious?"

He shrugged, patting some dirt off the knee of his jeans. "You've got the whole 'momma bear' vibe coming off you right now." She let out a breath. "You can trust Freya. In fact, you can trust everyone here."

"It's not that easy, Jack." She told him.

"I know." He nodded. "Just give it time. Things around here are so much different than they were."

"Obviously." She looked around. Vincent and Aiden were in the kitchen cutting up vegetables for a stew. Cami and Mary were going over maps and blueprints, several of what Hayley recognized as the dark objects her uncle left her scattered on the table. Marcel, Rebekah, and Josh stood guard outside in the trees, hidden from plain site but with her enhanced senses she knew they were out there. Never did she think she'd see so many different supernatural species co-existing like this.

"I was lost, for a long time, when I found out what happened to you – to your daughter." Jack cleared his throat. Hayley looked down, remembering the last time she'd seen him. "It nearly killed me, learning what Oliver did – betraying our pack, selling us out to Francesca and her goons. And now, most of our pack is either dead, missing, or working for that witch. Freya and Cami found me and we found my grandmother hiding out in the bayou with Aiden. We took shelter out here and started mobilizing, trying to figure out what to do and how to get the rest of our friends and family back. Along the way, Marcel and Josh managed to get out of there and brought Vincent with them. Since then, we've been here. That was about a year ago."