Reunited

Have you ever woken up from a nap that was so good you forget where you are? Just waking up and then looking around the room like where the hell am I? Well, this is a story about when I woke up from a nap, and I wasn't in the same place that I fell asleep.

I woke up, drenched in sweat looking around my room, except it wasn't exactly my room; my bed was the opposite way it was when I went to sleep, and things seemed to be out of place. "Did I change around my room this much while I was sleeping?" I slowly swung my feet off the foot of my bed and stood up.

I looked at my alarm clock and squinted to see the bright red light read 8:00 AM. "My mom should be up by now." Suddenly, I heard a laugh and a bang on the table. "What in the world?" I exclaimed.

I stumbled across some boxes that were on the floor that had been covered in dirty clothes that I was too lazy to put in the hamper that was approximately two feet away. I know, I know, I'm a slob. I've heard it one too many times.

Anyways, I opened my door to the blinding hallway light and stumbled down the hallway past the bathroom into the kitchen. My eyes adjusted to the light as I was heading into the kitchen. I stopped dead in my tracks when I realized who was sitting at the table; my grandmother. It's been 4 years since I've seen her face, heard her laugh, and hugged her.

With tears in my eyes I dropped to my knees on the white tile floor. The floor made a huge thud when my knees collided with the floor. My grandmother turned to face me, "Come here and give me a hug little one!" I was frozen in fear. Was this a trick? Was I still asleep? "Wake up, wake up, wake up!" I screamed to myself in my head. I took my hand and pinched my arm as hard as I could; I wasn't asleep.

I slowly stood up, trying not to slip on the floor with my socks. I walked toward my grandmother sitting in the wooden chair. She seemed real, she looked just like I remembered her. She looked so much better than she did the last time I saw her.

"Grandma?" I managed to squeal out.

"Yes dear?" She said to me ever so sweetly.

With tears welling up in my eyes she stood up and hugged me. "Don't cry my dear, I came back to visit, to tell you that I missed you. I have a little surprise for you."

"I can't believe it's you, how is this even possible?" I suddenly pulled away from her embrace. I looked deep into her eyes and I saw her faintly disappearing. My hands began to go right through her. I couldn't hold back my tears. "Don't leave me, I can't have you leave again." She slowly disappeared into the air. I couldn't contain my tears any longer and I started to weep.

I ran into my room with my hands covering my face trying to contain my tears. I slammed the door shut behind me. "This isn't fair! She's gone, I have to deal with her being gone all over again!"

I closed my eyes to try and stop the tears. I pictured the last time I saw my grandmother, how she looked like plastic in the coffin, how the soft pink light dimly lit up her face and made her grey hair look like it had a hint of pink dye. I remembered sitting in the chair as person after person shook my hand and said, "I'm sorry for your loss." I remembered how I lost the ability to cry because I had exerted all my energy crying the entire day before and the morning of the wake. I sat down and curled myself up in a ball to try to feel safe again.

I opened my eyes and directed my gaze to my shelf, and to my surprise I saw my figurine of a wolf staring back at me. For the second time again today, I was frozen in fear. My grandmother gave me the wolf, it's a little ornament that was hanging from my shelf via a push pin. It turned its neck to face me, and when I spotted it, it turned back around trying to remain unspotted.

I quickly stood up and moved my hand slowly to the wolf and touched it, it came to life and spoke to me. "Hello." It said. I was startled and pulled my hand away in fear.

"How is this possible?" I asked very confused.

"Your grandmother sent me to look after you, because she can't do it herself." The wolf said. His voice was deep, but somehow very comforting at the same time. I looked into his eyes and knew instantly, he wasn't there to hurt me, but instead protect me.

I heard a noise and turned to my bedroom door to see a little puppy come bouncing into my room, then a cat, then a squirrel, and finally a cardinal swopped in through the door and perched on my shoulder. I looked at it with wide eyes. "Don't fear us sweetheart, we are gifts." The bird said in a soft voice.

After a couple of seconds of just staring with fear I managed to ask, "from, my grandmother?"

The bird nodded its little head and explained, "yes dear, she wants to make sure you get to where you are going all right?"

I turned my head to the side and asked, "Where am I going?"

"Home dear, you're going home."

Thanks for reading! Please vote and leave a comment if you liked the story and would like a part 2. This was based off of a dream I had so if you should think I should continue it please like, comment, and share the story.