Chapter 3||September

September 21. Moving day. Branch took a good look at his new city he'd call home. Moving cities often made Branch not know what a true home felt like. What it really was. Hopefully this was the one he'd stay at...and never have to move again.

     As they settled into the new house, he realized it was a lot nicer compared to the previous ones. It was adjacent to he'd call a mansion but really it was just an expensive, eye-catching house. Aunt Marie entered his room shattering the silence hanging inside. "Hiya sweetheart!" "Branch..." he corrected feeling agitated. "I saw a place to eat down the road! Why don't-cha check it out? You need some energy to unpack!" The boy just shrugged before responding. "Sure, I guess-" "Well, I gotta go unpack! Make sure to grab me somethin'! Bye sweetheart!" "It's still Branch..."

-------------------------------------------------
     Stepping inside, Branch inhaled the sweet smell of something on a grill. He began to grow hungrier by the smell so he took a seat and ordered his food. Once he finished, the teen took in a good picture of the surrounding room. There were lots of people...and then something caught his attention.

     A girl with pink hair and deep magenta eyes. She'd been sitting with what looked to be her friends. They were all giggling and having a great time. He recognized her face somehow but knew he'd sound insane if he said anything. He couldn't even remember her name! Suddenly, her friends stood and started to leave the table. Waving goodbye, the girl's smile started to fade. Branch's mind started to spin, 'What's wrong?'

     Finally, she got up and took a seat at the bar. The seat was coincidentally next to his which made him stir. She seemed to know the waitress due to the conversation she had started. "Have you seen Creek, Moxie?" she asked only to receive a frown. "No, sorry Poppy." Poppy. The plush. It was her. His secret crush.

     Poppy hung her head and slouched down into the seat. Whomever she was here to see seemed to make Branch feel angry. Something just was not right.

     "You okay?" Branch asked making her flinch. "I guess...I was just expecting someone. That's all," she answered with a frown on her face. After a few moments of silence, her head rose as the song playing reached her hearing.

Do you remember? 21st night of September?

Poppy turned her head to see a boy with a tan skin tone and dark brown hair that curled at the tips. He had a worried expression across his face. Somehow, he looked...familiar?

Love was changin the minds of pretenders

     "Do...do I know you?"
     "Ummmm-" "No-no! It's just...you look familiar!" Without a doubt, Poppy knew she knew him...but how? Where from? His face gave her the memory of her plush...Branch! "Y...Branch?"

     Branch's brows responded before he could. They rose to what could've been his hairline. She remembers... "Y-Yes? Poppy?" he stuttered awkwardly. Before he could possibly think, he was in her arms. "Branch! Branch! It's really you!" He began to feel awkward and embarrassed as all the eyes in the room landed on the pair so he pushed away. "Y-Yeah um-" "I'm sorry, I just love hugs!" she explained trying to comfort him. She had so many questions she didn't know where to start. "Well—be right back!" she told him scrambling out of her seat. She rushed to the bathroom to calm herself down. Her excitement bubbled out of her so quickly she needed to breathe. Glad that she was gone, Branch decided to calm himself down too. She remembered him and...hugged him. It made his heartbeat pump faster. He relaxed.

     After a few moments, he caught the waitress's attention and ordered his aunt's meal. When the girl returned, Branch had already paid and left. She realized his disappearance the moment her eyes met the room. Her sad expression returned but something felt...different. Poppy approached her chair to see a milkshake in front of her. A note sat by its side and read:
нσρє тσ ѕєє уσυ αgαιи~Branch

     Poppy smiled to herself. She'd made a new friend with her old friend. It pleased her.

My thoughts are with you, holdin' hands with your heart
To see you, only blue talkin' love

     Creek might've not made an appearance but she felt like this way was...much better than the one she'd planned. Maybe Branch was looking forward to seeing her again like she'd hoped.

     She continued to sing the song as she sipped on her dessert with a smile plastered across her cheeks.

Remember, how we knew love was here to ѕтαу.