Chapter 2

That was Gareth. He was always in charge, when it came to doing something between us three, or should I say the two of them. He never liked being told what to do, or when to do it. Power hungry, is what I referred to him as. Cassius, is a follower. He did whatever Gareth ordered him to do, and when he told him to do it without hesitation. He says he loved to torture me, but a part of me thinks he only does it so he wouldn't be the one on the receiving side of the beating. 

This continued, days after day for 10 years. Until I was 16. That's when I finally started to grow up and get some friends. But the problem was, they weren't the greatest people to hang out with. They told me I could be stronger, and they would show me how. Of course, I wanted to over power Gareth and Cassius. So I could show them I wasn't as weak as they thought I was. So, I accepted. That day is when I became addicted. Addicted to the drug, and addicted to power. But I didn't realize it.The "group" I was with, I don't remember anyone's name, we would always be out at clubs, or some kind of party we would crash. I rarely remember anything, maybe the lights, or the drinks. But mostly I just remember shooting up the heroin. I do remember one girl though, Christina. Her dark brown hair that hung past her shoulders, her eyes that seemed almost black; very attractive. But other than that, those years where mostly a blur. 

Something that will always stick with me is the first time I stood up for myself. It was a late Sunday morning, and I had a huge hangover. I knew that because I was making coffee, which would be the only time I ever drink it. I heard my brother's feet pounding down the staircase. It sounded like a herd of elephants coming toward me. "You came home late last night," Gareth said.

'Don't I always?'

 "Yeah," Cassius said joining in on the conversation. "Where were you?" he asked curiously. They never knew about my social life, but they knew what I was doing in my spare time. "That's irrelevant to you," I answered, pouring the steaming hot, black liquid into the dark green mug I held in my other hand. "Stop speaking to us in that manner," Gareth demanded. I rolled my eyes, 'You could live without a little respect.' 

"I am not dealing with you two today," I declared, drinking some of the coffee, burning my tongue slightly but I didn't react.

 "Who says you have a choice?" Gareth inquired.

"I do," I shot back, glaring up at his towering figure. Suddenly, I heard Cassius roaring in laughter at my seriousness.  

Why is that so funny?

 "Someone's acting to be tough," Cassius managed to get out before continuing to laugh. "It's not an act," I growled, averting my gaze from Gareth over to Cassius. "Well than do something," Gareth suggested, crossing his arms over his broad chest. 'A free shot? Thanks,' I thought, knowing who exactly to get the blow to without hesitation. I shrugged and punched Cassius right in the nose, smirking as blood poured from his nostrils but was covered moments later with his left palm. I chuckled, hearing him curse under his breath before hearing Gareth say, "Nice shot." and ram his fist into my gut. I groaned, instinctively allowing my arm to covered the throbbing part of my stomach. Gareth's blows where always the worst. He was the eldest, and he had definitely lived up to that title as well. Cassius recovered quickly, wiping the blood from his nose onto his sleeve. I had little time to react before I felt Gareth grab both of my arms and restrain them to my sides. Everything was a while for an excellent hit, which was exactly what they wanted. I let my eyes close in defeat before feeling more punches to my abdomen. 

Sure, I lost that fight and many others after that. But for some reason, I was proud. I finally felt like I had some hope to be able to fight back. I tried over 10 times to end my life over a 2 year period. I did everything from cutting, to drinking and even shooting myself. I also did something, that was incredibly painful but only once; overdosing. But when I was 18, I realized if I haven't died yet, then I'm here for something. But what was my purpose? 

I never had a steady love life. Girlfriend after girlfriend, dumping me because they hated my addiction. I wouldn't blame them, though. I would've done the same. I remember when Cassius had his first girlfriend, Leah. She was very beautiful, and it hurt to know she had to deal with him. And the fact that she actually enjoyed being in his presence, was completely insane in my mind. Once we began to talk, I began to grow attracted to her.