t w e n t y - e v i e

"Ugh," Evie groaned, shaking her mud splattered hair and clothes. "Really, Leo? Mud?"

"Hey!" Leo said defensively. "What did you expect? To get swallowed by a rainbow or something?"

A furious wind blew around them as Will emerged from the lake of dirt. "Who knows what's in that stuff?" he complained. "Look at my hair!" Indeed, his blonde hair had now turned a golden-streaked brown. The strands that were usually spiked up were now hanging around his muddy face.

"Pure liquid Earth," Leo said haughtily. "For your information. Though some of us didn't even get dirty." The Mexican was absolutely spotless, from his tatty shoes to his perfectly clean curly black hair.

Evie laughed. "We both may look like mud monsters, Will, but you'll be pleased to know there's a lake nearby." She could feel the water coursing underneath, giving her newfound energy.

"Can you just bring it here?" Will grumbled, wringing out his filthy hoodie. Evie glared at him. "That's not how it works, Will. If you want to get clean you have to move."

"Spot of trouble?" a dry voice sounded from behind. The three of them spun round to see a boy about their age with messy black hair and skin as pale as porcelain. Evie thought he looked strangely familiar.

"My, you're all very powerful, aren't you?" the newcomer continued. "Children of the sea, earth, and wind. Where's your fire user? Oh, I see." His expression darkened. "You're on your way to fight the Shadow? Unwise. Very unwise."

Leo drew his sword and brandished it in the boy's face. "Who are you? You'd better start speaking, or your guts will be plastered over this lovely sharp sword. Wouldn't it be a pain to make it dirty?"

The boy smiled. "Oh, please. Put that down. I come in peace." Leo stabbed his sword into the ground and leant on the hilt. "Spill."

"My name's Tomas тень," the kid explained. "T-o-m-a-s. I'm half Russian." Will raised his eyebrows. "Mum or dad?"

"Mum," Tomas said, pushing a hand through his black hair. Suddenly, Evie realised why she recognised him. "You look like Shadow," she said, and a guilty expression crossed Tomas' face. "You're his son, aren't you?" Evie exclaimed. "Maia told us about you."

Leo's sword was up against Tomas' throat before he could say a word. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you right now," he growled.

Tomas suddenly looked aggressive. He waved his hand and Leo's sword disappeared into a cloud of black dust. "Let me explain," he said defensively. "I've only ever met my dad once and he was an idiot. I can assure you I don't share his interests."

He looked around, as if searching for anything else to turn into dust. Leo glared at him. "Where's my sword?"

Tomas laughed lightly. "It's floating around your head in minuscule particles. If you don't go waving it about in my face you can have it back." Leo scowled, but clearly wanted his sword back. "Fine, but I still don't trust you."

Tomas nodded. "Wise." He waved his hand again and Leo's sword appeared back in his hand.

"The only time my dad actually appeared to me was the last war with your camp, asking me to join him. I was eleven and said no, and then he tortured my mother to persuade me. Unfortunately for him, I hadn't actually seen my mother for seven years after she tried to hand me over to social services by claiming I wasn't actually her child, because she thought I was strange.

"I refused again and he killed her. I ran and now I roam around Europe, killing Demons and annoying my dad." Tomas finished his speech and glared round at Leo, Evie and Will, as if threatening to turn them to dust if they didn't believe him.

Evie was stunned by this strange kid who hated his father enough to allow his mother to be killed to resist him. He was obviously hugely powerful, and not one to cross. Maia had been right. He was dangerous.

"Still," Leo said finally. "You seem a bit dodgy." Tomas shrugged. "If you wanted a fight you couldn't kill me. I couldn't kill you either. Earth and Shadow magic are too similar to do each other any harm."

Will grinned. "So I could kick your ass if I wanted?" Tomas scowled. "I'd advise against trying. If you could see the layers, then the air around me is literally fizzing with unrestrained power. However, you three come a close second, I'll admit."

"The layers?" Evie repeated. "It's what our world actually looks like. My Dad showed me how to view it before he killed my mother and buggered off trying to take over the world."

"Could you show us?" Will asked, looking intrigued.

"No," Tomas said gruffly. "That's not how it works. An original needs to teach you to do it."

Suddenly, Evie had an idea. "Have you heard of the golden scroll?" Tomas glanced at her. "Of course I have. Why?" Evie's voice suddenly wavered. "It's in now in use."

Tomas jumped backwards like he'd been bitten. "So you three are part of the prophecy?" Evie nodded. "And if we're correct, then so are you."