Chapter 22: Adrenaline and the Way to Start a War

Stormtail traveled the forest, fear making his pawsteps quick. He knew if a BirdClan patrol were to spot him, then they wouldn't attack. They'd see the blood on his pelt and cobwebs wrapped around him, and they'd understand. Their territory was difficult to traverse, though, especially as the sun began to set behind the trees.

 He bolted through the forest, sniffing desperately for any BirdClan trails. Finally, he scented a recent patrol. He followed the smell and it felt like hours have passed. BirdClan territory did not have many thick plants, and the canopy was high up in the sky. Some sunlight streamed through and warmed Stormtail's pelt. It was deathly silent, however, and he felt fear despite the pleasant surroundings.  His nose brushed a fern and he glanced up. The stench was thick here, and beyond in a clearing he saw many warriors, lapping at their pelts or eating. He even saw a brown kit and his grey littermate playing.

A pair of amber eyes spotted him from a tree branch nearly right above where Stormtail was standing, and a cat hissed in his direction. "Intruder! Featherstar, there's a patrol outside our camp."
It's not a patrol, Stormtail thought. He stood straight and didn't try hiding anymore. It was futile, considering BirdClanners had guards in their trees. I forgot about that, Stormtail thought, BirdClanners always guard their camp, and do so from the trees. It is almost impossible to ambush them.
Stormtail stepped into the camp, wondering if he was allowed now that he was caught. He saw many warriors glare at him with near hostility. Eventually Featherstar came from her den and asked what the commotion was.

The guard in the tree climbed down swiftly and gestured to Stormtail, "This tom might be leading an ambush! He stinks of SandClan."

"It's just me." Stormtail sputtered, "I promise. Featherstar," Stormtail turned to her, intimidated by how regal she held herself. "SandClan needs your help."
Her blue eyes studied his pelt and suddenly she looked concerned, "What is going on?"
"VenomClan invaded our territory and they brought OakClan, too."

Featherstar lashed her tail, "Come with me."

She brought Stormtail away from the entrance of their camp, and the warrior wondered why Featherstar wasn't immediately sending her Clan to Bigstar's aid! The leader led him to the fresh-kill pile. Stormtail heard her warriors whispering. The leader offered Stormtail a mouse and he had to admit that he was hungry. He took a few bites,

"How many are there?"
"Their entire Clans, I think. Our whole Clan is fighting against them." Stormtail mewed, chewing.

Featherstar glared at him then turned away, speaking with her warriors that gathered around her.

"Featherstar, what's going on? Who is he?" A warrior by the name of Airleap mewed, almost hostile. 
"Is it wise to let that mange-pelt eat from our fresh-kill?" A white she-cat glared at Stormtail eating the mouse. He quickly swallowed.
"Iceface! He's wounded. Please leave him alone." A gentle, grey she-cat mewed quietly.

Featherstar interrupted them, flicking her tail, "Bigstar needs our help in battle. If we do not help, I fear SandClan may be lost from this Land. I hope you all are ready. Visit Fastclaw for a few strengthening herbs; we'll likely need it against VenomClan."

"I don't think this is a good idea." Stormtail heard the deputy, Windfoot, say. "SandClan needs to fight their own battles."
Featherstar whirled around to glance at her deputy. She snapped, "VenomClan brought OakClan into the fray, and we cannot let them destroy SandClan. You are coming." She dropped her tail on her deputy's shoulder and he shrugged it off. He padded away, and Stormtail felt worried that the deputy was going to disobey his leader.

Instead, he began to name what BirdClan warriors were coming with Featherstar to battle, "Airleap, Stormrush, Thornclaw, Runningheart, Fireclaw, Mothheart... I think that suffices."
Featherstar glared at him, "We certainly need more than that. Every able bodied fighter should come, so that this fight ends quickly."