Chapter 21: Graduation ; Liar

"Presenting the graduating class of 2014!" our principal said, then told the graduates to move their tassels. I smiled up at my fellow team members and dance class members who were graduating and wiped a tear.

Afterwords, Shorty, Bean and Stub came over to me. They were the quarterback, line backer, and backup for my football team.

"Hey, Squirt," Bean said.

"Hey Bean. Guys, I'm gonna miss you so much."

"We're gonna miss you too," Shorty said.

"Promise not to forget me?"

"Never," Stub said, hugging me with his good arm. I smiled and poked his half-arm and smirked. It had taken getting used to, but after I realized he was such a good guy, I had taken a liking to him and looked past his half-arm. He said he'd lost it in a car accident when he was little. I'd cried for him, which was the main reason for our bonding.

"Are any of you saying in the area for college?"

"No, we're all moving on to Argentina for college football."

I grinned, "Scholarships all around, huh?"

They nodded.

I smiled, "Well, I'll miss you guys. And I'll hate training the newbies without you there."

"Without us there, nothin," Bean said.

"We trained you!" Shorty finished, "YOU were a noobie this year."

I smirked and shrugged, "Still...I'm gonna miss you a lot."

"We'll miss you too, squirt."

After a few more hugs, the three left to go see family and friends. I stood in the midst of the crowds, alone. I looked around and smiled to myself, but it faded almost instantly. I pushed my way out of the crowds and up the bleachers to my special spot. I lay my head on my knees and closed my eyes, relaxing a bit.

"Hey," a voice said not too much later.

I looked up, "Hey, Seth..."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing..."

"Liar."

I smirked and wiped a tear, but shook my head. I didn't feel like he cared as much side Samantha came along. He's always doing things with her.

"If you're sure," he said, not sitting down, but starting to walk away.

"Seth--"

He turned, "Yeah?"

I sighed, "Never mind."

He just turned and left. I scratched my head roughly with my fingers, angry that he didn't stay, and angry for not just telling him what was really wrong.

Mom and Collin were out for the evening, having dinner and a movie as a last getaway before the baby comes hopefully, very soon. So, I walk home all by myself, wishing I had someone to talk to.

I made it home and slipped inside quietly for fear Hayden was already asleep. I noticed mom's bedroom light was on and I hoped she was home so I could give her a hug because I need one right now.

As I neared, I heard muffled talking and rustling of papers. I peeked through the crack in the door and saw Hayden on the phone, sitting on the bed.

"Uncle, Jerry, I don't want to steal any more. I thought we had enough!"

"Well, how much more do we need?"

"Three THOUSAND?! No way. I can't do that."

"NO! I can't keep lying to Marie. she trusted me! If it weren't for YOU being an alcoholic asshole, we'd have enough money for this without having to steal it!"

I gasped, stepping back from the door. Hot tears burned in my eyes as I kicked he door open, "You are such a liar!" I shouted.

"Marie! I can explain!"

"You can't explain! You're a liar and thats that! You've been stealing from us even AFTER you said you wouldn't, Hayden! Why?!"

He hung up his phone and stood, "Marie, you've got to understand, it was my uncle's fault!"

"Was your uncle the one stealing from my family?! I think NOT! It was YOU, Hayden! I knew I was right not to fully trust you! I was too blinded by feelings and emotions to see you were exactly the same! You're still a lying, cheating, selfish man and you never will change! I want you out of my house and out of my LIFE! We are THROUGH!" I called out loudly, then I turned and ran to my bedroom where I sat for a few hours, crying. It was too much for me to bear. I thought I could always trust Hayden to be there and be the only right thing in my life, but he's exactly the opposite. All he is and all he ever will be is a big, sneaky, lying, bully. And that will never change.