Chapter 25: Two Years ; Hidden Compartment

Upon waking the next morning, I noticed several notifications on my phone. They were all from Hayden.

"Dad is doing better."

"Surgery may have saved his life."

"I still love you."

"If you can, come by the hospital today. Room 448."

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. the last thing I wanted today of all days was drama. With each anniversary, it grows harder to let go. Sure, I like Collin and all and he's a great guy, but he could never be my dad. I didn't even feel like hanging out with Seth today as we'd planned. I just wanted to sit around and remember daddy.

I trudged down the stairs and sat in the kitchen.

"Good morning, sweetheart. Would you like some pancakes?" Mom asked.

"It's not a good morning at all and no, I would not like pancakes. I want your permission to leave and never come back."

"What's wrong now?"

"I can't believe that you've already forgotten. It's only been two years."

"Don't start that with me, young lady. I know exactly what day it is! I could never forget! He was my best friend and husband for many years! I just hoped you were getting over it because of how you've been treating Collin..."

"I'll never get over it," I mumbled, laying my head on the table.

"Honey, please go have fun. Get your mind off of it..."

I sighed, "Okay. Maybe you're right. Moping won't get me anywhere."

I groggily dressed into shorts and a tank and slid on my converse before leaving. I took my phone involuntarily and because I knew Collin would freak at me if I left it behind again.

I walked down the streets, getting angry that people could just continue on with life as if nothing was wrong when everything was wrong. I was fully upset by the time I reached the park and sat on a swing angrily, kicking at the wood chips that layered the ground.

After who knows how long, Seth called me.

"What?" I asked.

"I wanted to see you, but I didn't know if you wanted to see me."

"Sure."

"Where are you?"

"Park," I mumbled, "Where are you?"

"Turn around."

I did so and saw him standing several feet away. I told him to come on over and he did so. He took my hands and began pulling me back with him to his car.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

He gently shoved me into his car and we started driving. After a while, he pulled into a graveyard and drove slowly through the rows of stones.

"Seth, I don't want to be here."

"Marie. It's time for closure, okay? Please do this...For me."

I sighed and looked away. A lump was forming it's self in my throat, clogging it almost completely. It was so hard to breathe.

Seth helped me from the car and we walked over to the gravestone.

"Open your eyes," Seth commanded in a gentle tone.

I shook my head.

"Marie. please..."

"I can't," I stated.

"What do you mean you can't, Marie? Please just open them."

I rubbed a tear off my cheek, angry at my girlish hormones that make me cry so often. "I can't do it, Seth. I've never visited this place for a reason."

"Can you tell me that reason?"

"You of all people know how much it hurts. He died and it was my fault."

"How was it your fault?"

"It was a stupid reason. I wasn't feeling well. I had a bad cold and allergies and I begged daddy to go get me ice cream and a movie. He had had a long day at work and didn't really want to, but I begged. He fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into an oncoming car. If it wasn't for my stupid sugar craving, he'd still be here with us."

"Marie, have you ever talked to your mom about his death?"

"No."

"Why not? Maybe she could reassure you that it was NOT your fault. I can't believe you believe that for even a second, Marie. It could have happened to anyone!"

"But it didn't. It happened to me. My daddy, my best friend, died. Because I wanted some stupid ice cream," I said, starting to really choke up by holding back tears.

I felt Seth hug me tightly and I hugged him back. "I'm sorry, but I just can't look..."

"Have you ever seen what was written on his stone?"

I shook my head.

"Do you want me to read it to you?"

I didn't move or reply. He went ahead and started reading, taking my not answering as a yes.

"Nicolas Watson. Beloved husband. Doting father. It was no one's fault, rose will explain."

I opened my eyes and looked at Seth, "Who's Rose?"

"I have no clue...Can you look now?"

I heaved in a big breath and let it out slowly as I turned to gaze upon my father's silver, granite stone. I reached out and touched the smooth stone with my fingertips, feeling it's eerie, cold surface. I traced the letters of his name and read the encryption many times over. Rose will explain. Rose will explain. But who was rose? It wasn't capitalized, so maybe it wasn't a name. Maybe it was an actual rose...

As I studied the stone carefully, I saw a small rose etched near the bottom corner. The petals were outlined in black.

"Look," I pointed out to Seth. "A rose..."

"So?"

"I dunno..."

As I traced it, I felt it move a little. I pressed on it and it moved more.

"What the--" Seth started, but was cut off when a chunk of the side swung open, revealing a small opening. I looked inside and saw a video tape.

"What the hell?" I said aloud.

"Rose will explain...It was hidden behind the rose. Maybe it's a video of him?"

I immediately dropped it to the ground and stood up, walking several feet away. I heard the stone close and Seth walk up, "Whats wrong? One would think you'd be excited about seeing his face again..."

I shook my head, "I can't. Not when I'm just starting to--"

"To what? Move on? Marie, we all know you haven't moved on very much since it happened. Maybe it'll help, you never know..."

I took a few deep breaths and nodded, "Okay...I'll watch It."