II

While my guitar gently weeps/The Beatles

Arriving back home I park my car on the driveway and I notice Mrs Robertson standing on her porch. She waves at me and gestures me to come over. I lock my car and walk over to Mrs Robertson.

When I stand in front of her we say noting but she embraces me. It feels so nice, it almost feels like hugging him, Toby. Oh god I can't imagine losing a child, she must be so sad.

Toby's mom is the sweetest, I wish my mom was more like her. She is the most warm and loving person but now she looks empty, like she's missing something.

"Would you come inside? I'll make tea" She pulls away but puts her hands on the sides of my arms and smile.

"Of course" I say and I smile back.

As we walk through the house it feels so cold and damp. I notice the flowers the family were given on the funeral are dying in their vases. They smell bad too.

"Please sit darling, I'll be right over" She says as she walks to the kitchen.

I walk to the living room were the fireplace is lit, I immediately warm up. I sit down in the most comfortable couch and drown away in my thoughts.

-Flashback-

"Are you sure you know how this works?" I ask

"Nope, but I'll figure it out" He jokingly says 

"Toby please don't burn yourself" I say as I nervously walk around the room.

"Oh come on Lex, you know I won't. I was a pro at fire making in camp"

I roll my eyes and laugh "Sure you were"

I hear a spark "There we go" He jumps up "See?" He proudly says as he presents the fire to me.

"Nice good job, now make us some hot cocoa" I say as I softly push him.

"Alright, alright my highness, as you say so" He says and bows down for me.

"Thank you my lord" I say as I also bow for him and I jump on the couch to make myself comfortable.

-End of flashback-

"Do you want some milk and sugar darling?"

I stare at the fire.

"Alexa?"

"Sorry, yes please" I shake my head and give her a smile.

She pours me tea with a splash of milk and some sugar. 

"Thank you mrs"

"Oh please call me Wendy" She gives me a kind smile.

"Thank you Wendy"

We quietly sip our tea, both not saying a word.

The clock ticks loudly on the wall.

"So" She puts down her tea after 5 minutes of silence "How are you doing sweetie"

I take a deep breath and look at her.

"Today was the first day I went outside since.." 

"The funeral?"

"Yes" I say without emotion. I hear her breathing change.

"Oh how nice, where did you go to?" She smiles and takes a sip of her now cold tea.

I look away and notice a picture of him on the side table.