xiv.

Brendon's staring in his cup of coffee and Ryan is staring at Brendon.

They're at a diner, waiting for their breakfast, and Brendon hasn't really said a word to Ryan since they woke up this morning.

The silence goes on until they're halfway through with their meals and it's Ryan who breaks it.

"So," he says, clearing his throat. "I kind of wanted to talk to you about something." 

This catches Brendon's attention, but he doesn't look up or make eye contact. He continues to eat pancakes.

"What's up? He asks.

"I ran into Spencer a while ago." Ryan says and now he's got Brendon's undivided attention. He sets his fork down on his plate and stares at Ryan. "He was looking for you. This was a few days before I moved out of the house."

"What did he say?" Brendon asks and Ryan shrugs a shoulder.

"Nothing really. I tried to pretend I didn't know what he was talking about but he wasn't buying it. Said you told him where you were staying and that he hadn't heard from you in a while, months to be exact, so he came looking for you."

Brendon looks away and feels ashamed that he's cut ties with his best friend. The tears pool in his eyes and a few drops escape down his cheeks.

"He texts me once a month." Ryan then says and Brendon looks at him again, brows furrows in confusion.

"What do you mean?" Brendon asks, wiping his eyes and cheeks.

"We exchanged numbers and -"

"Did you fuck him too?" Brendon accuses and Ryan looks genuinely taken aback by Brendon's words.

"What? Brendon, no I didn't sleep with him." Ryan shakes his head, disappointed that Brendon would even think such a thing. "He texts once a month and asks if I've heard from you and I always tell him no because I haven't. Not before I finally found you anyway."

"So, what? Did he text you or something? That why you're telling me this?"

"Kind of, yeah." Ryan nods his head. "He texted me last night. When we got to my apartment. I ran out to get the rest of your stuff and I was gonna text him back and tell him I was actually with you, but I didn't because I didn't want you to be upset with me."

"What did you tell him, then?" Brendon asks quietly, the tears still falling down his cheeks.

"I just said no. What I usually tell him. I felt bad for lying because I know he just misses you and wants to know that you're okay, but it wasn't my place to tell him. I think you should make that decision when you're ready."

Brendon sniffles, wiping his cheeks again, and he looks up at Ryan.

"So you have his phone number?

Ryan smiles softly at Brendon before nodding in confirmation. Brendon sighs shakily and leans back in the booth, and Ryan slides his phone across the table between them. Brendon picks it up and finds Spencer's contact, pressing the phone icon and he puts the phone up to his ear. It rings four times before there's an answer.

"Hello?" The voice says, and Brendon is almost surprised at how Spencer's voice has changed so much and then he wonders if he looks any different since the last time they saw each other. Brendon tries not to cry anymore, but he can't help it. It's good to hear Spencer's voice. His matured, grown up voice. "Ryan?" His voice says, and Brendon closes his eyes, smiling to himself.

"Hey." Brendon's voice cracks and he clears his throat. "It's me."

Brendon thinks he heard a gasp come from the other end, he isn't sure, but it's silent now and it's making him uncomfortable.